Cory issue

1. Zanquelle

Zanquelle Valued Member Member

I have discovered one of my bronze cories lying on its side(alive), so I put him in a breeder net. All he is doing is lying on his side at the bottom of the net and occasionally he tries to swim. When he tries, he just flips upside down or just sits at the bottom wobbling around.

What do you think this could be and how do I treat it?

2. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

3. OP
    OP
    Zanquelle

On the website you gave me. The first thing it said under the treatment part is: initially, fast the fish for 2 - 3 days and then feed peas, lightly boiled/steamed, de-skinned and mushed (this is a cure for constipation). I don't think it's constipation because if it was he would be bloated and he isn't. Then it says to add Epsom salts, but I didn't think that you were supposed to put salt in tanks with cories. Then it says treat with a broad-spectrum antibiotic Medigold or MetroMed or Maracyn 1 and 2. Could I use Maracyn Plus because I already have a bottle of it?
    Thank you for you help

4. OP
    OP
    Zanquelle

Also, on the site it said that Swim Bladder Disorder is closely related to high nitrate levels. My nitrates are at 5 ppm and that's not high, so high nitrates are not the cause of this problem.

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Not this particular case, but with the way the fish is acting a lot of those suggestions could help along the way. It could be as simple as the fish is constipated and the inflamed bowl is pressing on the swim bladder, so solving one problem solves the visible problem.