Question Cory Interbreeding

Tony_P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I transferred my cories from my 10 gallon to my 25 gallon to give then some room to have fun .. That's my female bronze named Bronzie, my albino male named Blondie, and their bronze kid (of undetermined gender) named Baby Corrie. Well they seemed quite happy and Baby Corrie and my new albino Casper have been having a great time chasing each other around. I swear its like two kids in a school yard! The whole lot has joined my two sterbeis.

So, what do I discover this afternoon --- eggs on the glass in the 25. Somebody has been dancin' and romancin' and I'm not sure who.

Do sterbeis and bronze cories interbreed? and what might I end up with?

Tony

Last edited:

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First congratulations on the spawn and good luck.Most albino corydoras are C. Anueas, the bronze corydoras are also C Anueas. So same species there. As far as sterbeis interbreeding with C Anueas I'll leave that to @DoubleDutch or @Coradee they are the cory experts. I'm pretty sure they can crossbreed but not 100%.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First congratulations on the spawn and good luck.Most albino corydoras are C. Anueas, the bronze corydoras are also C Anueas. So same species there. As far as sterbeis interbreeding with C Anueas I'll leave that to @DoubleDutch or @Coradee they are the cory experts. I'm pretty sure they can crossbreed but not 100%.
I've no reports of any C.sterbai x C.aeneus crossbreds.

I even think they aren't in the same ligne what would mean them to be that related they can crossbreed. But @Coradee knows more about that.

The bronze and albino can do the trick but are indeed the same species.

Last edited:

Tony_P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well it is the corries as my wife and I saw them going at it. (and told them to go get a room already!)

There are now many many areas on the back of the tank with clutches of eggs and several clutches on the non-sucking part of the filter. Overall I'd say at least 50 eggs.

After 20 to 30 minutes, mom Bronzie then went and found a place to hide and rest ..

Tony

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well it is the corries as my wife and I saw them going at it. (and told them to go get a room already!)

There are now many many areas on the back of the tank with clutches of eggs and several clutches on the non-sucking part of the filter. Overall I'd say at least 50 eggs.

After 20 to 30 minutes, mom Bronzie then went and found a place to hide and rest ..

Tony
Awsome. Get the brine shrimp hatchery going. Good luck.

Also, there famous for eating there own eggs. Best remove the adults to give the eggs the best chance for survival.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry only just seen this, I agree with DoubleDutch I’ve not seen any reports of aenus/sterbai crosses & according to the lists I have they aren’t in the same group so I’d have to say your eggs are from your bronze & albino

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom