Cory has weird growth on fin?

Rebeccaxo

Hey guys I’m new to this but had to do a fish in cycle with the amazing help from this group and fantastic helpful experienced members anyway! I’m needing advice I have 3 albino corys and two peppers corys going to get more in time, but I’ve noticed recently the smallest of my corys the last week or so barbels looks non existent in been feeding him with a sygrine putting food right at his wee mouth he’s been hiding a lot and lying on his wee side and back but this week he seems so much better swimming about with the other too not lying around as much! Or hiding but myself and my partner have noticed a growth on his wee fin it looks like a small bit of fluff growth type thing stuck to him! I’m worried and I’ve never had to treat anything as yet and not sure what it is so any advice is welcome I’ve tried my best to get w picture of the wee guy! But it’s hard.. thanks x

DoubleDutch

Are you doing a fish-in-cycle with Corys Rebecca ?

Rebeccaxo

I did at the beginning but didn’t no about cycling got wrong advice from a local shop my tank I think has cycled now I haven’t had postive readings for ammonia or nitrite for a while now and my nitrate on API sits about 20ppm but gets a little higher when my weekly water change is due x
I have sand but I’m worried the barbels all look so short on my corys but this one looks like he had non! I changed my gravel to sand near the start once I gained more knowledge x

DoubleDutch

Asking cause the fins all look ragged amd damaged.

Corys aren't suitable for a fish-in-cycle cause they are very sensitive to all nitrogyncompoinds involved. That's why they loss barbelss and fins.

I'd do daily waterchanges and add an antifungal med or maybe even a broadspectrum though I don't like those.

Rebeccaxo

I know I didn’t underhand this untill it all happend but I was doing like daily water changes etc and I monitor my water snd do 50 to 80% weekly to ensure it it doesn’t creep up have you any advice for any anti fungal I can use and how to use it snd can medication affect ur filter etc I’m all new to this my tank started in October the 7th so it’s all new x

DoubleDutch

I know I didn’t underhand this untill it all happend but I was doing like daily water changes etc and I monitor my water snd do 50 to 80% weekly to ensure it it doesn’t creep up have you any advice for any anti fungal I can use and how to use it snd can medication affect ur filter etc I’m all new to this my tank started in October the 7th so it’s all new x
Living in Europe so other members will answer that. Don't wait too long.

Rebeccaxo

Ok I’ll with research anti-fungal medication for corys
I’m not sure if it’s fungal or bacterial and if u should buy a small hopsital tank as I have other fish in the community tank swordtails and guppies etc

DoubleDutch

The right fin looks like fungus but definitely could be a secundairy infection on a bacterial one (nitrites probably caused the first damage).

Rebeccaxo

Would
I be best to get antibiotics or fungal treatment x
I also don’t no it I should treat the whole tank

h20intolerant

Hey guys I’m new to this but had to do a fish in cycle with the amazing help from this group and fantastic helpful experienced members anyway! I’m needing advice I have 3 albino corys and two peppers corys going to get more in time, but I’ve noticed recently the smallest of my corys the last week or so barbels looks non existent in been feeding him with a sygrine putting food right at his wee mouth he’s been hiding a lot and lying on his wee side and back but this week he seems so much better swimming about with the other too not lying around as much! Or hiding but myself and my partner have noticed a growth on his wee fin it looks like a small bit of fluff growth type thing stuck to him! I’m worried and I’ve never had to treat anything as yet and not sure what it is so any advice is welcome I’ve tried my best to get w picture of the wee guy! But it’s hard.. thanks x
I had a molly with a large fungal growth on her tail, but some aquarium salt added over a few days and a small amount of tee tree oil cleared it up in a week. Anti fungal meds are great, but for me salt was more inexpensive, plus I wasn't 100% sure it was fungal and not itch. However, I'd only use a little salt with cories (maybe a tablespoon per 10 gallons or something along those lines) because mollies can tolerate more brackish water. Also if you do add salt make sure to dissolve it I'm water before adding. Adding it strait could be bad.

DoubleDutch

Would
I be best to get antibiotics or fungal treatment x
I also don’t no it I should treat the whole tank
Are the other Corys in this shape as well ? If not I'd treat it seperated.

Could you place some more pics ?

Rebeccaxo

No I can’t see any of the fish or corys with it but it’s hard to get a picture of them I was going to buy Melafix x

FoldedCheese

I had a molly with a large fungal growth on her tail, but some aquarium salt added over a few days and a small amount of tee tree oil cleared it up in a week. Anti fungal meds are great, but for me salt was more inexpensive, plus I wasn't 100% sure it was fungal and not itch. However, I'd only use a little salt with cories (maybe a tablespoon per 10 gallons or something along those lines) because mollies can tolerate more brackish water. Also if you do add salt make sure to dissolve it I'm water before adding. Adding it strait could be bad.

Salt shouldn't be used with corys because they are quite sensitive to it and can't tolerate much.

Rebeccaxo

I have ordered matafix I think it is and primal fix API brands I’m setting up a hospital tank now for the Cory! But not sure how to remove some filter media to the new filter
I think it’s cotton diease x

DoubleDutch

Melafix isn't a real med. This fish needs a real med and stronger med to treat with.

Rebeccaxo

Esha 2000? Can anyone advice what
To use I think it’s cotton mouth

mattgirl

I have been following this thread. I really wish I could help you but since I've never used medications I can't. I am going to ask A201 to stop by though. I know how concerned you are about this little guy.

DoubleDutch

Esha 2000? Can anyone advice what
To use I think it’s cotton mouth
Esha 2000 is definitely a better choice than Melafix

h20intolerant

Salt shouldn't be used with corys because they are quite sensitive to it and can't tolerate

Rebeccaxo

Hey guys unfortunately I lost my little Cory despite treating thanks but for all your support and help its much appreciated my other ones barbels seem tiny but Hopefully with my regular water changes etc it gets better x

mattgirl

Hey guys unfortunately I lost my little Cory despite treating thanks but for all your support and help its much appreciated my other ones barbels seem tiny but Hopefully with my regular water changes etc it gets better x
I am sorry to hear this. I know it is hard and often heartbreaking but sadly it is part of this hobby. I don't think there is one person in this hobby that hasn't lost fish along the way. I know you did your best for this little one.

Rebeccaxo

Thanks so much! I know it’s been hard but the rest seem quite ok at present although one of my sword tails has been acting a bit strange not eaten and always opening his mouth but he seems ok I done the 7 day Medication cycle hoping for the best x

DoubleDutch

Sorry to hear you've lost it.

Rebeccaxo

Thanks everyone you have all been a fab support, and the guidance is unbelievable you guys r amazing thanks for everything I’m sure I’ll be back
Ok worried about my swordtail now he won’t eat for at least 4 days and he just seems like he is bent and thin and opening his mouth continuously all day and night it’s stressful this lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jake37
  • Question
Replies
Views
harleygrooo
  • Question
Replies
Views