Cory Habrosus and Cory Pygmaeus strange deaths Help

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by ctclee, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ctclee

ctclee Valued Member Member

Cory Habrosus and Cory Pygmaeus help

Hey FL

I have a friend that is setting up a new tank. Well sort of the tank is "new to her" the tank was cleaned thoroughly and the ony thing she took from the last owner was the gravel.

I have been helping her and she is really enjoying the new hobby until recently. Let me give you a run down on the tank. I hope to be very thorough so here goes.

Tank was started over a month ago.

This tank is about 30 gallons, lightly planted, with two small pieces of found driftwood. Drift wood was boiled for 4+ hours and sat in a bucket of water that was changed ever couple days for about a week and a half.

Fully cycled with Endler Livebearers that are thriving.
    Tank is usually anywhere from 0/0/5 to 0/0/10

livestock = some Endlers 15 or so mostly fry and 1 Amano shrimp.

Now here is where the fun begins. she loves the Endlers but only bought them to cycle the tank now she wants to keep them.

So with only 2 types of fish in there she has big plans for a few types of nano fish.

The first of these being cordoras pygmaeus and habrosus. So she came home from the petstore with some labeled as Pygmy Cory's. it turns out she got 3 cause she had heard me say cory's prefer groups of 3 or more. I later find out the tiny ones prefer groups of 12 or more.

So she came home from the LFS with 1 pygmaeus, 2habrosus, 5 cherry shrimp.

Recount= Endlers (mostly fry), 1 amano, 5 Cherry shrimp, 3 Pygmy-ish Cory's

She felt bad that she didn't get enough for the cory's to be happy so she wen on a hunt to get more as that store was sold out when she returned.

I also (being a good friend) went on a hunt to find more.

later that day we meet up and she bought 6 pygmaeus and I had bought 12 habrosus. Wow thats alot of fish! but they are sooooo dang tiny !

So now to acclimation time. acclimated of the next 2 hours. Tank was tested first at 0/0/5.

I took 5 of the Habrosus and put them in my 10 gallon bowfront with my betta. (They are doing FINE)

Recount= Endlers (mostly fry), 1 amano, 5 Cherry shrimp, 7 Pygmy Cory's, 9 habrosus cory's

******* NOW THE PROBLEM STARTS **********

these things are dropping like flies roughly 2 a day of the pygmaeus 1 survives. of the habrosus there about 7 or 8 left.

You should see her face she looks like she personally killed it each time one dies. I want to help her stay in love with this hobby but I need to find out why they are dying first !
    Are these fish just ridiculously hard to keep ? Any help would be GREAT !

I have my own theory's but I'd like to hear yours.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about the corys. :( Hope she isn't too discouraged by this.

I'm pretty much a neophyte, but this is my best guess: I know that cory cats need a well established tank, so that's my first go-to. If your tests are accurate on the 0/0/5 front though, my next thought is maybe pH shock? Incompatible temps? I believe some corys don't handle high temps all that well, but then you would expect the exact opposite between her endlers tank and your betta tank.

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

She shouldn't be adding more than 3 fish at a time, with about 10 days between additions. She probably overwhelmed the cycle by adding 20+ fish relatively together.

Why do you think pygmy cories require 12 to be happy? I mean, the more the merrier, but she could have done with 5 or 6...

edit: what are her current levels?

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, those pygmy corys need large groups to feel secure.

I would not get more of the ones that died, but rather more of the ones that lived.

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

she should also consider quarantining... it is possible they were sick (especially if your area stores use the same supplier.)

6. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

Lets start with the tank temp for cories NEVER ABOVE 74 degrees they are not as tropical as you think except for sterbai. Most cories prefer 70-72 degrees many even lower such as peppers kronei barbatus erhardti these guys relish in the mid to upper 60's.

I crash the PH on my cories all the time with very acidic rain water from the mid atlantic here with rarely a problem. I have overdone it in the past but only twice have I done damage in over 20 years, 10+ breeding cories alone I basically breed nothing else some endlers and just starting on shrimp. I have 130 tanks devoted just to cories.

Habs are pretty hardy but the pygmaseus can be touchy if wild caught.

Here is my best suggestion on purchasing most any cory or any fish. STAY AWAY FROM THE LFS UNLESS YOU KNOW THEM WELL. Remeber when you purchase a new fish you generally dont place them in there permenent home but in a temp until you know they are not sick. Most LFS say the do a 1 month quarantine but they lie, they go from there bags into there tanks sometimes selling them the same day they were brought in. Purchase your cories from a breeder there are several like me here in the US.

Tank raised cories are more outgoing dont hide nearly as much as wild caught they require no accimilation. I get cories from Great Britain, Germany and Holland a couple times a year most cant be found here in the U.S.A. or are just real new to the hobby. I put the cories directly from there bags into there new homes NO ACCIMILATION I have been doing this for over 10 years with no trouble at all other than jumpers.

As far as a well established tank they dont need that either. I have 42 type as I write this 130 tanks 20 are large 20 longs most of the rest 10 gallons I never have time to cycle a tank I have at least 6-10 groups lay eggs every day or so on a continuing basis so I often toss breeder groups into tanks I set up yesterday WITH NO TROUBLE OR PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Smaller cories and there cousins also need more food there metabolism is like a mouse compaired to a dog for larger cories.

My best guess is a parasite from not being held for a time at the LFS or LFS'S. Not many of them can hold fish for 1 month to see if they are OK. They, like I dont have that much tank space.

I have worked in 4 different LFS over the years and know this from experience and seeing it everyday. I actually quit one store due to there treatment of the fish.

7. midthought

Listen to Redkahuna. >.>

:;nw

8. OP
    OP
    ctclee

Thank you REDKAHUNA

Very well written and informative. She has so few left I feel bad for her.
    the temp is on its way down now. I will set up a quaratine tank for the next ones.

why do their little gills seam pink or red?
    And how do I make sure they get fed often when the Endlers seam to want to eat anything you put in the tank !

I also wonder how do I find a breeder of the Cory Habrosus and Cory Pygmaeus in BC Canada.

9. midthought

I have heard that turning off the lights after you feed them helps ensure that the food sinks to the bottom and to the cory cats, because the other fish don't see it.

10. OP
    OP
    ctclee

@ midthought

good idea thanks :) Still looking for local breeders if anyone knows any ;)

11. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

While lowering your temps make sure that is compatible with your other fish. This is one of the reasons why it's very important to research before buying fish.... to make sure they are compatible in temperament as well as habitat.
    Carol

12. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

Great advice!!!!!

Pink red around gills usually inmdicates O2 deprevation.

Feed the cories sinking wafers or pellets before you turn off the lights this will ensure they are getting fed. Feed the endlers the same as always if the cories get some it wont hurt. Cories have expandable stomachs so they can eat a lot at 1 time and actually be fed less often when housed alone.

The common mistake is to forget about the cories while feeding others in your tank thinking the cories are getting fed also. Be sure to get them a food they can eat while the lights are out and feed before putting them to bed.

13. h

hyun007 Valued Member Member

If you are feeding floatng pellets, crushed some and mixed with normal pellets. That way, some of the crushed pellets will get to the bottom.
    Works for me all the time.

14. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

Maybe this will help.
    He has the Habrosus now on his list, has very fair shipping rates.

Just scroll down to the South American area.

I bet if you look for an aquarium society in your area there are local breeders also.

Brian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice