Cory Getting stuck in net

Cambrianexplosion24

Hi guys! Aside from my betta, snail and corydoras who I've had for a long time and put into it a few days ago, I added the first couple of fish to my new cycled tank yesterday. Three additional corys. Well, during the transfer one of the corys got the spine of his pectoral fin stuck in the net and wasn't able to swim free. After I tried shaking him out a little I eventually just had to pull him out with two fingers as gently as possible and put him in the tank by hand. He's fine but it stressed him out until morning. It was a close call too. I thought I might have accidentally crippled him or shortened his life. If corys especially are prone to getting stuck in the net is there an easier way to dislodge them?

kdub

I don’t think there’s any trick out there for dislodging them unfortunately. I would definitely recommend getting a finer net though so it’s harder for their spines to get caught.

Maybe someone who has worked at a LFS sees this and can share their experience with netting corydoras?? But I wouldn’t be surprised if at the store they net them with the finer nets when they can.

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

There fins are more spiny than a betta fish, the spines make it easier to get caught.

I prefer to use a cup to catch fish, but when you must use a net (like to prevent LFS water from entering a tank) I would use a very soft/fine net.. if your net is already fine I would try a brine shrimp net. It’s fine enough that the tiny legs of a bribe shrimp don’t get caught

Upvote 0

Cambrianexplosion24

I don’t think there’s any trick out there for dislodging them unfortunately. I would definitely recommend getting a finer net though so it’s harder for their spines to get caught.

Maybe someone who has worked at a LFS sees this and can share their experience with netting corydoras?? But I wouldn’t be surprised if at the store they net them with the finer nets when they can.

I hope this helps!

Thanks kdub! I'll see if I can find a finer net! I do plan on adding two more corys in the near future so it would be good to have one on hand.
There fins are more spiny than a betta fish, the spines make it easier to get caught.

I prefer to use a cup to catch fish, but when you must use a net (like to prevent LFS water from entering a tank) I would use a very soft/fine net.. if your net is already fine I would try a brine shrimp net. It’s fine enough that the tiny legs of a bribe shrimp don’t get caught

Thanks Crimson_687! I do prefer to use a cup or another container where possible but I think a brine shrimp net sounds like a good idea to look into! It sounds like it would be very useful for spiny finned species!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
pagoda
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
30 Gallon Tank Albino Cory white spot
Replies