Cory fry

Anthony1976

Hi all, my Cory’s laid eggs a few weeks ago and I managed to get around 50 fry from them. I ran round all my local fish shops trying to get baby brine shrimp, hikari first bites and micro worms with no luck none of them stock this stuff. So I ordered the first bites and they arrived a week ago . From the first few days all I’ve been doing is grinding up api bottom feeder pellets in a Pestle and mortar and after week one also grinding up bloodworm in fine bits also with the pestle and mortar. When the first bites arrived a week ago they just wouldn’t touch it and preferred the ground up pellets. I started with 50 fry three weeks ago and still have around 50 now. There growing well and seem pretty healthy with fat bellies. It’s my first time raising fry should I just keep doing what I’m doing or should I change something? Thanks very much

Anyone?

I’ve been raising them in a plastic tub for the first few weeks with just an air stone and doing daily water changes and siphoning any uneaten food and waste out. I have a small 2 foot tank and a sponge filter . Would it be a good idea to run the sponge filter in one of my established tanks for 3 to.4 days before putting it in the tank with them??

Zeeth29

I’ve been raising them in a plastic tub for the first few weeks with just an air stone and doing daily water changes and siphoning any uneaten food and waste out. I have a small 2 foot tank and a sponge filter . Would it be a good idea to run the sponge filter in one of my established tanks for 3 to.4 days before putting it in the tank with them??
That sounds like a good idea, letting it build up some bacteria but I'm by no means a expert.

AGAqua

Thats really cool. I dont know a lot about cories so I can't help you but good luck! Also starting at 9:00 PM in California barely anyone is on fishlore. Youll have a better chance in the morning.

Anthony1976

that's really cool. I dont know a lot about cories so I can't help you but good luck! Also starting at 9:00 PM in California barely anyone is on fishlore. Youll have a better chance in the morning.
Thanks much appreciated

BusterBot28

I raised some peppered cories by grinding up big bites and algae wafers for them and I only lost one fish(it had a birth defect) but when I found a bosemani rainbow fry in the breeder tank(not quite sure how it snuck in there) I started feeding her some brine shrimp I bought on amazon and the crushed up food. That’s when the catfish got the brine shrimp because some of them would die before I could feed them to anybody so I would feed them the dead ones. Hope this help.

kallililly1973

My green Cory’s lay eggs like crazy I grow them out in a 5.5 with a dual sponge filter.. I would run a sponge in one of yours established tanks for at least a couple weeks 3-4 days won’t do much... I always feed mine frozen daphnia bug bites crumbled up flakes omega one sinking shrimp pellets are pretty much their main diet and they all do well for recently moved about 10 into my 55...and I’ve sold a handful... I haven’t tried saving many eggs lately due to the “19” but once it settles down I’ll go back to raising them n hopefully get some credit at my LFS or maybe even attemp shipping if anyone is looking for em.. not too uncommon so they would be cheap enough

Anthony1976

My green Cory’s lay eggs like crazy I grow them out in a 5.5 with a dual sponge filter.. I would run a sponge in one of yours established tanks for at least a couple weeks 3-4 days won’t do much... I always feed mine frozen daphnia bug bites crumbled up flakes omega one sinking shrimp pellets are pretty much their main diet and they all do well for recently moved about 10 into my 55...and I’ve sold a handful... I haven’t tried saving many eggs lately due to the “19” but once it settles down I’ll go back to raising them n hopefully get some credit at my LFS or maybe even attemp shipping if anyone is looking for em.. not too uncommon so they would be cheap enough
Thanks for the reply, I have one of those small box type filters that have foam in and you can put noodles in there. You push an air stone in there but I’m just a bit concerned the Cory’s will get sucked into the slits in it . I could borrow some noodles from my canister filter and it would be ready to go. I’m not sure if I should use this or use the sponge filter. Hard to explain what they are really it’s like a triangle box that goes inside the tank itself

kallililly1973

I would go wit the sponge filter get it seeded in your established tank. That way no chance of sucking up fry and they will graze on it as well. In my 5.5 I also have a marina breeder box that I put some polyfill on the return so it also catches a lot of waste and the box itself is full of Java Moss. I run a dual air pump the sponge filter and breeder box runs off of it... both work out well

Anthony1976

I would go wit the sponge filter get it seeded in your established tank. That way no chance of sucking up fry and they will graze on it as well. In my 5.5 I also have a marina breeder box that I put some polyfill on the return so it also catches a lot of waste and the box itself is full of Java Moss. I run a dual air pump the sponge filter and breeder box runs off of it... both work out well
Ok I will do , thanks very much for the advice. Puts you off having kids these things are high maintenance!

Anthony1976

One of the other things with sponge filters is they are noisy with the bubbles hitting the surface. I stumbled on this video to make them quiet check it out it’s a brilliant idea.

kallililly1973

Here is my breeder box setup it has the small intake tube and the polyfill I just cut to size as u can see on the return side. i suppose you could also drop some ceramic media in there as well. But I just have moss in it and change out the piece of polyfill every few days then on WC day I dump the box in the waste water bucket then into my house plants. And a bonus pic of the sponge filter where the fry like to congregate at times

Anthony1976

Here is my breeder box setup it has the small intake tube and the polyfill I just cut to size as u can see on the return side. i suppose you could also drop some ceramic media in there as well. But I just have moss in it and change out the piece of polyfill every few days then on WC day I dump the box in the waste water bucket then into my house plants. And a bonus pic of the sponge filter where the fry like to congregate at times
That’s a great idea I really like that

kallililly1973

And their cheap you can get a small one for probably $10 or so and actually modify it wit media if u really wanted to with chambers and all I suppose that’s if u wanted to go that far but perfectly functional the way I have it

Anthony1976

And their cheap you can get a small one for probably $10 or so and actually modify it wit media if u really wanted to with chambers and all I suppose that’s if u wanted to go that far but perfectly functional the way I have it
Very clever, you’re going to have to patent that before someone else does

kallililly1973

Thanks but not likely I’m the first one that thought of this. It would essentially be a HOB sump I guess

Marlene327

My peppered fry just hatched this morning so I was looking up posts for care advice and saw this. I know that was April, but about how old were the babies in that picture? Oh so cute!

I have First Bites and baby brine shrimp ready for them, I have maybe 20-30 fry. I have a sponge filter on one side seeded from another tank, and a bubbler on the other side of my 10 gallon. I read they like some current, so that's my attempt. Checked my levels when I saw them today and ammonia was .25, did a 50% WC and will keep looking. Have almond leaves in and they like being under them. I'm so excited! Found baby shrimp in my 40 gallon last night and moved 3 to a safer tank, and 3 fancy guppies are due to drop... having a good baby week!

Marlene327

Hi all, my Cory’s laid eggs a few weeks ago and I managed to get around 50 fry from them. I ran round all my local fish shops trying to get baby brine shrimp, hikari first bites and micro worms with no luck none of them stock this stuff. So I ordered the first bites and they arrived a week ago . From the first few days all I’ve been doing is grinding up api bottom feeder pellets in a Pestle and mortar and after week one also grinding up bloodworm in fine bits also with the pestle and mortar. When the first bites arrived a week ago they just wouldn’t touch it and preferred the ground up pellets. I started with 50 fry three weeks ago and still have around 50 now. There growing well and seem pretty healthy with fat bellies. It’s my first time raising fry should I just keep doing what I’m doing or should I change something? Thanks very much

Anyone?

How did those Cory fry do for you? How many did you end up with?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views
oldsalt777
  • Question
Replies
Views
JB92668
  • Question