Cory Fry In Shrimp Tank, Now What? Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by HairyCatFish, Jun 14, 2019.

1. HairyCatFish

HairyCatFishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +325
    Experience:
    2 years
    Long story but I was/am having ongoing issues with my 37 gallon Cory/community tank, so for the past 3 months I've been thinning out the foliage and decor. Thing's just were getting too overcrowded and overgrown.
    And though my Cory's were loving it and breeding in it, with new cory fry popping up here and there thanks to all the cover, it was also hiding bad thing's.
    So a couple of month's ago I began moving plants and decor to my 4 other tanks. One particular item was a hollow driftwood log that I had stuffed with java moss, that BTW was where the Cory fry would live and hide out in. I thought the best place for this would be my 10 gallon shrimp & snail tank, they love the java moss and wood. So I carefully shook it out making sure nothing was hiding inside and pulled it out, with all the moss, and dropped it in the shrimp tank.

So I'm sitting back enjoying my shrimp tank last Sunday morning when suddenly a really large dark shrimp pops up from the moss and darts across the back of the tank. I sit up straight and lean in for a closer look and am a bit startled when it pops out again and I realize it is a baby Cory !!

I don't feed this tank everyday, sometimes I go as long as a week without feeding. They live mostly on algae and biofilm, almond leaves and decaying plants. So I'm a little shocked that it has survived and grown to about 3/4 to 1 inch.

I don't want him eating my shrimp so I want to get him out and move him back with his cory family. I've spent about 1 hour a day all week trying to net him without tearing everything up and hurting the shrimp and without success. He evades capture and just hides until I leave. What should I do? cb04bdca2f03cf1495a5dd0b5df1bc84.

2. BusterBot28

BusterBot28Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have baby Cory’s in my shrimp tank and they show no aggression to the shrimp. Could you show us pics of the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    HairyCatFish

Ratings:
    +325
    Experience:
    2 years
    The tank is shown in the original post above.

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,742
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They won't eat shrimps

5. OP
    OP
    HairyCatFish

Ratings:
    +325
    Experience:
    2 years
    Ahhh ok, good to know. I'm seeing baby shrimplets and I was just wondering what he's been eating to survive.

Anyway so once I saw him I thought he might be hungry so I fed the tank some pellets, which he completely ignored, so I thought maybe he only eats baby shrimp lol. Ok so I'm relieved now that I know my shrimp are safe but I would still like to get him out and back to his tank with his siblings and parents. Without over turning everything in the shrimp tank or stressing or hurting him or the shrimp.

6. DoubleDutch

Ratings:
    +11,742
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Biofilm (just like the shrimp do)

7. Oriongal

OriongalNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +49
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I have peppered cory fry in my shrimp tank most of the time. Bonus is that they'll also help keep planaria from being a problem. I don't feed my shrimp tank daily either, but it is heavily planted. Have now grown several broods of cory fry to between 1/2 and 3/4 inch in there, then they get moved to a larger tank.

When it comes time to catch them, I frequently employ the old catching-baitfish fisherman's trick - cut off the top of a plastic water/soda bottle, invert it so the mouth is pointing into the bottom of the bottle, and push it in snugly enough that it will stay there. Put a little food inside, and sink it in the tank (it will usually stay on the bottom without needing to be weighted down if you let all the air escape) for several hours. Rinse it out and repeat with fresh food if needed.

Of course it will also catch some shrimp at the same time, but at that point you can always pour them all out into a bowl or other container, where you can more easily net the shrimp and return them to their tank (or net out the fry and pour the shrimp back into their tank.)

Only rarely have I had to resort to a net to catch the fry, and at that point what I do is prop the net up in a corner or against one wall of the tank, where the bottom edge of the net is sitting on/near the bottom of the tank, and the mouth of the net is open and accessible to swim into. And then I leave it alone, and just watch. Eventually the cory will investigate it and go in of its own volition, especially since the shrimp will already be all over it. Once the fry goes in, you can usually bring the net up gently before it swims back out.

8. OP
    OP
    HairyCatFish

Ratings:
    +325
    Experience:
    2 years
    Awesome, thank's for sharing that. I'm going to try the inverted bottle method next time. So that is a plus that they eat those pesky detritus worms, that's one reason I never really wanted to have to feed this tank regularly.

So after it took awhile to get him standing still long enough for photos, man he's quick. Here's the cute little rascal posing for me and eating catfish wafers with some shrimp and snail's.

Oh and I believe those are more of my Cory's eggs they laid yesterday in the 37 gallon in the bottom photo.

Question: Could I just move that badge and stick it into the 10 gallon shrimp tank? 2b45c237f0765e9e57cd391830a86d8a.70003dc6fdaf06bc5249cea8eee3655f.60a7524f384fa540898e2a3ce811ad90.32dd4c9520024ff454ab0f632ab804b0.b671c5c81d847deacf08dce751df0829.

9. DoubleDutch

Ratings:
    +11,742
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Seems to be a panda x ?????? hybrid.
    What Corys do you exactly have ?

10. OP
    OP
    HairyCatFish

Ratings:
    +325
    Experience:
    2 years
    @DoubleDutch funny you should mention that, I thought the same thing but didn't think it would be possible. When I first saw him I immediately thought it was a Panda cory. But it could be possible because my Panda's were still alive back when I unintentionally transferred the cory eggs to my shrimp tank.
    I recently had a heartbreaking loss of all of my Panda's it turns out I had a PH crash that went unnoticed for month's. Triggering a huge snail die off and some fish death causing a bacterial infection and my Panda's paid the ultimate price.
    Right now I have a group of C. Trilineatus that have been breeding. And I have a single C. Leucomelas and a single C. Ambiacus. Oh and there are a couple Pygmaeus remaining that pop out occasionally, haven't had too much luck keeping them. But Panda's so far have been the most difficult for me to keep. 4b7946f71444810f8d6f1be82efe2a4d.51571ee5ccd39811f733075afd6952cf.cab47df2f61eed2c5f38e8e3effd0a89.e367cd5b25e199c78d189a7a54c64e71.15df2f7c76555c1cbe22d7b566cb7038.4823736aa1424bbf5a34eca83b086d9b.103c3467ab8a30dea1c70a366d6fbdb0.

11. DoubleDutch

Ratings:
    +11,742
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My guess is panda x trilineatus then.

12. OP
    OP
    HairyCatFish

Ratings:
    +325
    Experience:
    2 years
    So how cool is that

13. DoubleDutch

Ratings:
    +11,742
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    hahahaha as a real coryfan I'm not fond of hybrids. Sorry

14. OP
    OP
    HairyCatFish

Ratings:
    +325
    Experience:
    2 years
    It's okay, honestly I had no idea this was even possible. I'm old school so when I hear "hybrid" I remember when we used to say "mutt" lol

I still think it's pretty cool though that the Panda's and C. Trilineatus were getting it on....
    I do remember wondering what was happening when the one bigger Panda was always "frolicking" around with a couple of them.

15. Oriongal

OriongalNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +49
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Awww...corys are already cute (to me, anyway), and cory babies just that much more so. [Though pics aren't showing at the moment, I was able to see them when I hit Reply.] Interesting if it is a hybrid, sure does look like it could be.

To your question - I'd say, you can try, but I haven't had any luck myself with putting eggs into the shrimp tank. They get eaten, though I rarely see who is actually doing it (did see a ghost shrimp eating one once, but the rest of the eggs I tried putting in there directly, I didn't see who ate them.) The snails would be the likely other culprits, I have ramshorns and some bladder snails in my shrimp tank.

Since my corys are in with voracious swordtails (who will frequently follow the female around and eat the eggs as soon as she places them...) what I usually do when I want to rescue a few is get a tupperware or small Sterilite container, and put tank water and an airstone in that. Air temp where those tanks are is a pretty constant 73-74F, so haven't needed a heater. Then I just roll eggs off the glass onto my finger (when I can get to them before the swords do...) and transfer them to the container. Having them in a container does make it easier to see and remove fungus-y eggs, and also to see when the eggs hatch.

I tend to leave the fry in the container until they're able to swim pretty well, and then put them in with the shrimp (mostly just to feel confident that they could get away if a shrimp decides to snack on one of them. I don't worry too much about the RCS eating the fry, it's the handful of larger ghost shrimp that are also in there that I think would make meal out of a cory fry if they happened to catch one.)

My shrimp tank has a pretty thick carpet of dwarf sag across half of the bottom, so the fry tend to get lost in there and I usually don't see anything of them for a month to six weeks. Basically don't see them again until they've grown long enough for the waving tails to be seen above the vegetation, LOL.

Couple of pics for whenever they can be seen - first is my shrimp tank, second is 4-5 cory fry in motion among the shrimp at feeding time (you're right, they don't stay still very long or often.)

20190424_164023.20190504_160708.

16. OP
    OP
    HairyCatFish

Ratings:
    +325
    Experience:
    2 years
    Oh wow you're shrimp tank is gorgeous !! Yeah I agree Cory's are really cute, especially babies I love my little guy and think he's adorable regardless of if he's a hybrid or not. The fact that he may be from one of my panda's makes hom even more special since I lost all of them recently and I'm still heartbroken. It took some time to build up my school of Panda's and it's beccause of something I didn't notice that lead to them dying. So I feel as if he's sort of a gift they left me. I really want to reunite him with his family in my 37 gallon though.

As for the eggs: Thanks for sharing that, I also have ramshorn snail's and a couple Nerites in with my shrimp so yeah maybe I'll leave them where they are in the Cory's tank for now and just let nature take it's coarse.

17. OP
    OP
    HairyCatFish

Ratings:
    +325
    Experience:
    2 years
    I caught him, and a bunch of shrimp plus a few snail's amd some duckweed. Going to net him out then pour the shrimp back in their tank. Snail's will go in my Loach tank for dinner. 7b7a7646ff142c5d4e722cec790dd945.a41b1090d5f63d5dd1468ec51dd10472.

18. OP
    OP
    HairyCatFish

Ratings:
    +325
    Experience:
    2 years
    So he's now in the tank he was conceived in. I'm floating him in a breeder's cage for observation and letting him get accustomed to his new home and tankmates. dd195add6a9cbc495ac52f3ddea47817.7bb6081112de4e16137d8772f299243f.

19. Oriongal

OriongalNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +49
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Glad you were able to get and move him!

Sad to hear about the pandas, but I am glad they found a way to leave you an offspring, and a unique one to boot!

20. OP
    OP
    HairyCatFish

Ratings:
    +325
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thank you, and thanks for all the tips and helpful advice it really helped.

Here's a few pictures of him being welcomed back and meeting his new buddies. He immediately took to all of them and it felt good watching them shoaling around the tank. e2418cee9bf2306b8106c0c31299c768.ec3e3bc84288f72361ba4300d121c6cc.45cb18551d74232ce8102fa69057af6c.d36617734492899d38964f1c1bba1372.58213827f91526441e012c920d09dea1.9d80ca2b0ea653c5f03a248c3054e3e0.c6eed4639dd82a7df5926e132866278a.