Cory fry age estimates please

Biancah76

I have 6 adult peppered, and 6 adult albino peppered Cory's, I've had the albinos at least 4months longer, although one of them still hasn't increased in size, at all! , but I've not noticed eggs from them.
The peppered have been spawning and leaving eggs up the glass for a couple of months now, and I'd not had great success removing them into a nursery tank or floating breeder box, but about 20days ago I found the bristlenose eating some from the glass and thought I'd give the remaining three another try, but rather than moving them, I used the slitted divider from the bottom of breeder box in combination with algae magnet, just to cover them, while maintaining tank conditions & stop her eating them all and last week I noticed the cutest little fry in the bottom of the tank, it's heavily planted, so I'd not noticed him for some time. I don't stand a chance of catching them now but when doing some pruning and maintenance so make some sand visible again, I managed to spook two that were hiding under a rock, so I'm confident there is at least two in there, however going by how much they have grown in the last week, I suspect they are older than the three eggs I covered, my pictures are awful because they are so tiny, and the moon sand makes for perfect camouflage, but would anyone please take a guess how old they are? I'm thinking perhaps one of my previous methods worked better than expected, and I have just found a fresh batch on the algae magnet, so I can't use the same method to protect them anyway. I do get new eggs at least every two weeks, but was hoping knowing the age would allow me to work out which method produced these ones. Thank you for your time, Bianca
The adults and fry alike are really difficult to see from above, probably why they've survived in a busy community with 13 different species, but it makes it really difficult to get a photo of an adult and baby together. The batch before in the breeder box about 5 weeks ago, I collected 22, and 2 days later I came home to find 16 gone (I have tried two different breeding boxes, and the pleco can climb in and out of both if she wants, so assumed they had been eaten) but now I'm thinking perhaps they hatched and slipped through net holes? There is plenty of algae to eat in tank, and I have been giving them blood worms an extra day per week since I noticed them, but I don't know what they were eating while smaller.
Got a better picture!

Attachments

• IMG_20220518_185254.jpg
    IMG_20220518_185254.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220518_185228.jpg
    IMG_20220518_185228.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220518_194818 ring.jpg
    IMG_20220518_194818 ring.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220518_203919.jpg
    IMG_20220518_203919.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 13

Lucy

Hi welcome to FishLore!
Perhaps Coradee or DoubleDutch can help.

kallililly1973

I’d estimate a month or so. Seeing as you noticed the eggs about 20 days ago. Just a guess. We have raised many Cory eggs in a 5 gallon sand bottom planted tank with great success using a sponge filter

Biancah76

I’d estimate a month or so. Seeing as you noticed the eggs about 20 days ago. Just a guess. We have raised many Cory eggs in a 5 gallon sand bottom planted tank with great success using a sponge filter
Thank you, that was the third method I tried to save some in the 8weeks before posting this, so still not entirely sure if it was divider or net that made the difference, maybe they hid some good enough elsewhere that I didn't see them either and I should just not interfere in future!

I tried putting the largest 2 females and 2 males in a separate 60L nursery tank I cycled a few months ago, taking some bio media and sponge from canister and all the substrate I needed from community, with new bag filling in the hole in established tank, then water from main tank, maybe slightly fewer plants, but the water tests remained stable.

I wanted to avoid upsetting the community & shrimp with my cooler water change testing, but I don't think the corys enjoyed the downgrade in space, or lower sponge filter flow, they have 300% filtration in big tank, with a fast & slow end.

After not noticing spawning or eggs, 6weeks and 5 cooler water changes later, I put them back in big tank and within 3days there were eggs again. The eggs I found on the algae magnet ( that was already holding the divider over a clutch yesterday, shows how much both females like that spot) have been moved to 60L, still on magnet and opposite filter, but the flow isn't comparable. They definitely always stick them to the glass at fast end, opposite the canister outlet, no matter which direction it faces.

The fact two have survived in 4ft despite my novice efforts, and the shrimplets are happily multiplying and finding places not to be eaten, I have hope the new tactic to trust them to know where best to put them, and just covering them with divider in situ to protect them until they hatch will bring some more success.

Then I'm gonna work on the albinos, see if I can't increase the tank capacity percentage without emptying pockets!

Attachments

• IMG_20220518_190847.jpg
    IMG_20220518_190847.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2

Biancah76

Thank you, that was the third method I tried to save some in the 8weeks before posting this, so still not entirely sure if it was divider or net that made the difference, maybe they hid some good enough elsewhere that I didn't see them either and I should just not interfere in future!

I tried putting the largest 2 females and 2 males in a separate 60L nursery tank I cycled a few months ago, taking some bio media and sponge from canister and all the substrate I needed from community, with new bag filling in the hole in established tank, then water from main tank, maybe slightly fewer plants, but the water tests remained stable.

I wanted to avoid upsetting the community & shrimp with my cooler water change testing, but I don't think the corys enjoyed the downgrade in space, or lower sponge filter flow, they have 300% filtration in big tank, with a fast & slow end.

After not noticing spawning or eggs, 6weeks and 5 cooler water changes later, I put them back in big tank and within 3days there were eggs again. The eggs I found on the algae magnet ( that was already holding the divider over a clutch yesterday, shows how much both females like that spot) have been moved to 60L, still on magnet and opposite filter, but the flow isn't comparable. They definitely always stick them to the glass at fast end, opposite the canister outlet, no matter which direction it faces.

The fact two have survived in 4ft despite my novice efforts, and the shrimplets are happily multiplying and finding places not to be eaten, I have hope the new tactic to trust them to know where best to put them, and just covering them with divider in situ to protect them until they hatch will bring some more success.

Then I'm gonna work on the albinos, see if I can't increase the tank capacity percentage without emptying pockets!
Check out his "Where's Wally?" Impression in the first photo I got of him lol, I got all excited and none of my friends could see him in tank or photo, they all thought I was mad!

Attachments

• IMG_20220505_140748_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220505_140748_HDR.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 5

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Stuart42
  • Question
Replies
Views
Oriongal