Cory Floating Lifeless But Obviously Alive?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tyler Young, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Tyler Young

Tyler YoungValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Alright so this sounds odd but I have one Cory in a batch of three I just bought yesterday in a lightly planted newly established tank. I used a cycled filter on the tank and let it run for a week all water levels are perfect.

I came home today thinking I had a dead fish but after watching I can see he is still trying to swim. The video is rough and short but he obviously propels him self upwards then goes back to free floating. Any ideas would be helpful although I feel like I might end up with a dead fish.

When I left five hours ago he was acting like all the other cories and kinda hiding but still floating properly so something has happened in the five hours.

Update, I must have water his last few attempts to swim because he is not showing any signs of life tonight. I will now removing him from tank and bribing to store tomorrow. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2019
  2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,570
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What size is your tank, what other fish do you have in there? What are your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels right now? When/how much was your last water- change?

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,206
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Did you add an ammonia source to the tank during that week you had it running with no fish in it? If so, the bacteria in the "cycled media" may have starved off, leaving you without a cycle. (ammonia is the food source for the bacteria).

As @Momgoose56 mentioned, please post your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels along with tank size and stocking list

4. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My concern was also the week without fish so if the bacteria didn't have a food source it would have starved them off OR my second worry would be depending on how many fish you added you overloaded the seeded bacteria

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,748
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Agree. Water levels are always perfect if there isn't something in that rots or poops.

In case of stress Corys can take in to much air in their intestials causing it to float.

Waterchange is the first thing I'd think of.

Become a Fishlore Member