Cory Fish Dying

1. L

Leer1985 New Member Member

I've had 2 corys for months now. Last week one died and roday the other looks on its way out. Im guessing due to the timescale, there must be a problem with my tank. The other fish are ok and well its just the corys. Ihavent changed anything and maintain the tank the same way i always have. Has anybody got any ideas what the problem could be. Thankyou.

2. Zentuckyfriedchicken

Zentuckyfriedchicken Well Known Member Member

Parameters? Cory type and tank temp?

3. OP
    OP
    L

The ph is between 6-7. One was a peppered cory the one one the way out now is an albino. The temp is spot on 24 atm

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Do you have a way to test your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Did you only have two cories? How often do you do water changes, and how do you do them? Do you change the filter cartridges, and do you clean them, if so, please tell us how.
    And I'm very sorry for your loss, it's always hard. My condolences.

5. OP
    OP
    L

No i dont but im going to invest in a kit. Yes only 2 corys. I do water changes every 2-3 weeks as i had an algae problem which has now cleared. And yes i clean filter media in a jug of tank water. I dont change all of the media when suggested to do so as i like to keep the good bacteria, but i do change them.

And Thankyou

6. Rtessy

Okay, so most of the time issues arise with incorrectly cleaning filter media, but you've been doing it perfectly!
    What size is the tank, and do you have any other tank mates?
    The API freshwater master test kit is like $23 but it's really worth it. The strips are often inaccurate and don't last long, this kit will last well over a year, likely more.
    Also, how much water do you change in each water change? And normally it's recommended to change ~25% every week, but that can vary depending on stocking and plants and everything

7. OP
    OP
    L

Thankyou ill look around for the kit, well worth the money. Its only a little fluval edge tank i think its a 6 gallon.ive got 3 tiger barbs in there too. And yes i change about a 1/4 of the water. See s funny how i finally get rid of an ongoing algae problem and now this . I have just checked and found out it looks like the albino has an indent on its abdomen. Im not sure about the one that went last week though.

8. Rtessy

Do you mind taking a picture of the indent? Tiger barbs are known for being somewhat aggressive, especially in a smaller tank. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that tank is too small for the fish you have. There's an ongoing debate about cories being in a 10vs 20, most recommend a 20, and they're technically a schooling fish and are supposed to have at least six. The same goes for the tiger barbs, it's recommended to keep them in a 20 with at least six. That being said, I'm definitely not going to blame you or anything, you've been taking pretty good care of them, actually doing water changes, cleaning the cartridge properly, etc. A huge number of people do a lot worse. I say go ahead and do a 25% or so today, tomorrow and the next day, because I'd bet your nitrates and high. Also clean water always helps. What kind of dechlorinator do you use?

9. OP
    OP
    L

Thankyou for your advice most appreciated

And yes will take picture as soon as i get home again

10. Rtessy

Great thanks! Until then, if you want to try and describe it you can go ahead. You say it's an indent, is it in the stomach area? Any unusual coloration?

I forgot to ask, are the tiger barbs recent additions? Within the past month?

11. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

If you have tiger barbs, you got your answer. They will nip, chase, and kill cories. Especially when they are bored and not in a big enough group.

12. OP
    OP
    L

No the barbs have been there for about 5 months.no theres no colouring to it. Its on the underside in between the pectoral fins

Thats the first thing i thought but so ive always kept an eye on them. Theyve always been fine with them the barbs chase eachother a lot but seem to have always left the corys alone

13. Rtessy

Well, if the barbs aren't new that throws out a lot of diseases, so that's good. So is the indent in the 'stomach' area? What type of food do you feed the Cory and the barbs?

14. OP
    OP
    L

I put a mixture of lightly crushed pellets and broken up pleco wafers

15. Rtessy

Okay, solid. So is the indent in the stomach area underneath, or on the side? Are you sure the Cory is getting enough to eat and the barbs aren't eating it all?

16. OP
    OP
    L

The indent is not very visable in the picture sorry 20180524_163302.jpg

Yh they're the first to jump on the food ive got a hob filter and i drop the food into the outlet water and it pushes it to the bottom

Not the best picture 20180524_163302.jpg

17. Rtessy

What's your substrate like?
    I tried doing some research based off the picture, and it doesn't seem like good news....
    It seems a sunken stomach in cories occurs sometimes and people have quite figured out why. It doesn't seem to end well in most cases :(
    The most prevalent theories are internal parasites (can be treated with PraziPro) some form of bacteria (depending on the type can be treated with kanaplex, metronidazole, possibly epsom salt, and others), or worst case, fish TB. Yours doesn't show other signs of TB, but just in case be extremely careful around the tank as it can be passed to humans. That's more of a just in case, I'm not sure about it .
    Has your Cory lost appetite at all?
    Personally, I think it's likely a bacterial infection, since you haven't introduced anything new recently and you've had them a while, which almost certainly rules out internal parasites and TB. If the tiger barbs are harassing the Cory, even a little, it can stress the cory out and make them susceptible to diseases, and since bacteria are always there, it's probably bacterial. I haven't treated this particular type of thing, but I think kanaplex is only like $7 so if you want to try it, it's on Amazon if you have access.

18. OP
    OP
    L

Geeeeez not good i was thinking some sort of bacteria

And the sub is white gravel

19. Rtessy

Yeah I'm really sorry, but there's still a chance. Has your cory lost it's appetite at all or is it still eating? From what I could tell, they lose their appetite before passing, so if yous hasn't, you may have time to treat it.
    Edit: do you use a gravel vacuum when you do water changes? If you don't, there's one other thing it may be.

20. OP
    OP
    L

Its passed now. I did notice it was slowing down and moving less yesterday and this morning it was swimming on its side and laying on the gravel