Cory Eggs? Surely Not...

1. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

So recently I've been looking into breeding corys and reading up on the whole process, and then today while I was moving plants I realised some of my fine gravel substrate was stuck to one of the leaves. I was confused as to why until I starting trying to rub it off and realised there were a few little eggs that were acting as the glue. I moved what I could of the eggs to a breeder box to see if anything happens, but the eggs are tiny and look clear (from what I can tell). I don't think they are snail eggs, as there aren't any snails in the tank that I know of. The main reason I don't think these are cory eggs is because I just got them (4 or 5 days ago) and I'm pretty sure they're a bit young to breed (about an inch I'd say?) Could it be possible? These are bronze cories btw

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank? Other inhabitants?

3. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Pics? I also think 1 inch would be very small for them to breed.

4. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

70g tank, other inhabitants are clown loach, rainbow shark, 2 angels (think both are female), and a Golden gourami. @Katie13

They're so small I doubt I will be able to get pics unfortunately... it's dark here now so I will wait to try in better day light rather @BeanFish

5. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Is it possible it was the Angels that bred?

6. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Most of the time corys will lay eggs on glass , my corys have been breeding non stop for a few months now and I've yet to only see them lay their eggs on glass.

7. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

@Katie13 I highly doubt it... they're both very young still too. And none have looked fat at all... though I guess there's always a possibility.

8. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

They have to be from the Corys or Angelfish. How large are the Angelfish?

9. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

The bigger ones body is about 4-5cm in diameter I'd say?

10. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

They are likely Corys then. I guess the mystery will be solved if they hatch.

11. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

@Katie13 yes I guess only time will tell :( if they even do hatch... it all just seems really strange:joyful: or maybe a snail somehow crept in on a plant, though they don't look like snail eggs

Could it be possible that the cories are laying unfertilized eggs at this size? @Katie13

12. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Possibly, but they could also be fertile.

13. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Hope they are! Will try check tomorrow and take pics! :)

14. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

15. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

Seems like it to me.
    That's what they looked like when I had eggs.

They appear to be fertilized, but not totally sure.

16. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged so all the information is in one place, please only create one thread per topic

17. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

@Fanatic I'd be ecstatic if they are fertilized cory eggs! I guess it's now just a waiting game... :)

18. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I have never seen Angel fish eggs but they seem Cory eggs to me and since they aren't white they also seem to be fertilized. You said your corys where just an inch? Dangit they started early lol

19. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Yes @BeanFish I was also thinking they're much too young for this:rolleyes::emoji_joy: need to give them a talking to obviously. Oh well, out of the few eggs I found and got into the breeder box I'd be very happy if any hatch! There i was the day before studying up on how to breed them, thinking it would be a long involved process...

20. ChiefBrody Member Member

Different cories lay eggs differently. Some on the glass, some on the glass BEHIND a mop or floating plant, and some directly on the sand. In the wild they feed on the sandbars at night. So this is what's happening in your tank when the lights go out. Definitely remove them as they will eat them. Sounds like you kno what you're doing. Anything's possible. Fish breed for "no reason" all the time. Now you said you've been researching but have you also been preparing the tank for their arrival with perfect breeding conditions? That would explain it. Or maybe your tank is just way softer than where they came from. It's a perfect storm but it's totally possible