0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can try the veggies, but mine don't touch them. Something you might want to try though to trick them a little is to push some of the shrimp pellets or other pellets into something like zucchini. They will probably go after them trying to get the sticks out, and will be eating a little zucchini while they try! Mine also go apey over the Omega One tubifex worms. Push the square against the glass just above the gravel line and watch them go, but don't do this more than twice a week. These worms are very fatty, and can really mess up a tank. They are quite messy! You can also keep your eyes out for other kinds of sinking sticks like earthworm, veggie, and plankton sticks. Variety is the key. www.kensfish.com is a good place to find different kinds of foods.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, basically I just feed them whatever other sinking foods I can find? And tubifex worms...where do you get those?
I'm actually kind of relieved that they won't eat veggies, because I am planning to add Otos to that tank and I was a bit worried there'd be a war over food...

This is way off subject, but I don't feel like starting a new thread. Right now I think I have 3 Pygmy Cories (that is, 2 died :'( and 1 has like disappeared...keep in mind I can't see a thing in that tank, it looks like pea soup there's so much algae... Don't worry though it's starting to go away, hopefully lots of water changes will do the trick...) Hopefully I can get more, but idk when my lfs will stock Pygmies again, they're kind of rare. Anyway, one of them looks a little swollen or fatter in the belly, as well as just a little bit bigger. They're all pretty much full grown. Could the fat one be a female full of eggs? Or are female Cories just fatter in the first place? (little confused about that) If she is a female, and the others are males, is there any chance of spawning? And if I should ever have catfish spawn (I think I'm also getting Otos and Panda Cories for that tank), what the heck do I do?

phew lost of questions!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can get tubifex worms just about anywhere you buy fish food. I do not recommend the Wardley brand though. My fish would not touch them! They usually come in squares. Here's an example.

I would recommend the Omega One or Hikari brand.

As far as telling the males from the females, I believe the females are usually plumper than the males. You may be right about the "fatter" one being a female.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't worry, you couldn't pay me to buy Wardley...

Thanks for the help.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine just eat the occasional worm plus flake food and shrimp pellets and are fine. The only problem is the betta trying to eat the shrimp pellets whole...

You might want to get a snail to keep that algae down. I have a mystery snail and I never have any serious algae problems except in a couple of inaccessible areas I have to clean myself.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am planning on getting a mystery snail, though I am also probably getting Otos and they will probably get the algae first. Hopefully the dumb algae will go away soon, I can't see my cute little fishies. :'( *pout*
I found Omega One tubifex worms at Petsmart, however they only come in a larger sized can so I think I will wait to get them until I have more Cories.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom