Cory died with no symptoms? I want to make sure others are safe!

sfeath

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My green cory (C. Aeneus) died sometime last night. Yesterday he was completely fine, an a much darker green. Today when feeding I found all my corys except him, and saw one under a plant, flipped over. Turns out it was my green cory. Besides being much lighter in color and some hurt fins from the tweezers/ other fish, I can't find anything wrong? All my parameters are reading stable and in a safe range as of this morning, I changed water 4 days ago and I have gravel in the area he died, sand in a different area. I clean sections of gravel at a time and the tank is planted and only has been active for a couple of months, so I don't think it is anerobic bacteria? But I am relatively new with issues that can arise with fish, so I don't actually know! It is a 20G tank, no added CO2, Marina SlI'm 20G for extra flow/filter plus a sponge filter to make up for the slim's lack of power! No temp fluctuations besides the water change, and the only other fish are microrasboras, and they don't mess with the corys. He was my smallest and more skinny, but still ate so I just figured he was a male? His barbells looked clean, and I didn't see any red spots on him, or patches of white! He did change color from when I initially put him in the tank, but that was over a month ago! Here are the pictures I took after I removed him from the tank!

Also, got him out of the tank with metal tweezers, so that caused some of the damage to his sides :( rip cooper

Attachments

OP
sfeath

sfeath

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
H Farnsworth said:
Did you quarantine and is it a chain store fish?
I adopted him from my mom who had him for a couple of months, and I've had him for a couple of months myself! So he definitely didn't have any fast acting diseases :/ I don't think he is from a chain store, but can't say for certain!

My other post shows him being fun just a few days ago! Complete 180 :(

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Huh its tough to say. Sorry for your loss, could have just been its time.

Mar1111

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm very sorry, and sometimes there is no understanding. I just lost my clown pleco the same way a few days ago. Fine one day, laying on his back the next morning. I checked all my levels right away as you did. I'm as upset as you are and I wish we knew the answers. :(

OP
sfeath

sfeath

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
Was this the same green C.aeneus that was running around the watersurface ?
Yes it was! it worried me, but I couldnt find anything wrong with him so I didnt think too much of it!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sfeath said:
Yes it was! it worried me, but I couldnt find anything wrong with him so I didnt think too much of it!
It wasn't okay then, it was not having fun but had an issue going on. It looked like poisoning to me.

OP
sfeath

sfeath

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
It wasn't okay then, it was not having fun but had an issue going on. It looked like poisoning to me.
do you have any idea what kind of poison? the bronze is doing a similar thing, but all the albinos are acting normal?

OP
sfeath

sfeath

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
he also only did it after I put food in! what do you think would make that the case? and on that note as well, no one goes to the surface to breath uncommonly often! they all seem fine with the water, and 99% of the time they are all acting the same!

OP
sfeath

sfeath

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
Two of my albinos DO swim against the glass sometimes, but its always the same two and I'm pretty sure they are male so spawning behavior seems to explain that?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sfeath said:
he also only did it after I put food in! what do you think would make that the case? and on that note as well, no one goes to the surface to breath uncommonly often! they all seem fine with the water, and 99% of the time they are all acting the same!
What do you feed ?

OP
sfeath

sfeath

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
What do you feed ?
I feed freeze dried brine shrimp, shrimp pellets, and bottom feeder tabs! not all at once, usually brine shrimp but some days I switch it up so they can have a greater variety! the other day I accidentally crushed a baby snail without noticing until the corys were eating it! could that have done it?

Mar1111

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sfeath said:
I feed freeze dried brine shrimp, shrimp pellets, and bottom feeder tabs! not all at once, usually brine shrimp but some days I switch it up so they can have a greater variety! the other day I accidentally crushed a baby snail without noticing until the corys were eating it! could that have done it?
No, the snail would've been a nice treat. I often crush my pest snails and let fish have it.

OP
sfeath

sfeath

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mar1111 said:
No, the snail would've been a nice treat. I often crush my pest snails and let fish have it.
right now its pretty much something he ate which hurt him enough to kill him, or he was poisoned by something :/ no one has any white spots/fuzz or red patches, and everyones breathing is normal. plus, the shrimp and microrasboras are both fine, and they tend to be more picky so I'm at a loss. maybe fishy heart attack but,, I don't know :(

OP
sfeath

sfeath

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
welp I guess I have to put a hold on my micro dragon gobys until I figure this out :( :(

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sfeath said:
Did you soak the freeze dried food?

OP
sfeath

sfeath

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
Sid you soak the freeze dried food?
I didn't, the microrasboras like to have it float and the corys never really went up while there was too much food up there. do you think it expanded in his tummy?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sfeath said:
I didn't, the microrasboras like to have it float and the corys never really went up while there was too much food up there. do you think it expanded in his tummy?
But when did they eat it then?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom