Cory Cats

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MaddoxAtom, Jul 21, 2017.

1. MaddoxAtom

MaddoxAtomNew MemberMember

If I add two cory cats to my betta sorority would I have to worry about them breeding and if so is there anyway to differ the genders externally

2. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

The bettas will eat the cory's eggs if they do decide to breed. Corys are also schooling fish and require at least a school of 6 or more to be happy. What size is the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    MaddoxAtom

A 15 I feel like that's too many fish for that size are there any other small bottom feeders that I can add

4. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

What type of cory are they?
    They will be stressed in just a pair. If you don't have room for 6 then you don't have room for any.

5. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Is this 15g? If so and provided it's a 24" long tank, I don't think it's too small to have a shoal of dwarf cories like pygmaeus or habrosus but they're not temp compatible with bettas. I would stick with a few nerite snails. They would less likely get attacked by the betta as well.

6. OP
    OP
    MaddoxAtom

Okay so are there any small schooling fish or maybe larger peaceful fish I can put in with my bettas bc four small ladies in a 15g seems empty

7. BottomDweller

How long is the tank? If it is 24" or longer you could have 6 kuhli loaches.

Personally I would stick with rabbit snails, a nerite snail and maybe amano shrimp.

8. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

What are the dimensions of the 15 gallon?

9. OP
    OP
    MaddoxAtom

It is a 24 long. Aren't kuhlis escape artists tho? What kind of lid would you recommend if I got those if you have any shopping sources that would be awesome

10. BottomDweller

You can use any lid but put mesh or tape around any gaps or openings in the lid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice