Cory cats on bare aquarium

1. reds Member Member

Hello everyone! I know I ask a lot of questions on here, I just want the best for my fish. Anyways I have a 32 gallon tank that I'm currently cycling and I wanted to transfer my substrate from an established 10 gallon to the 32 gallon to speed up the process. I have 2 Cory's in the 10 gallon which I will be housing in the bigger tank once it's cycled. Can my 2 Cory's live without substrate for a few weeks until the bigger tank is up and running? Also I know that Cory's need to be in larger groups these 2 I rescued from a pet store that doesn't take good care of their fish.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Yes they'll be fine for a few weeks as long as you keep the bottom of the tank clean, not just of poop & uneaten food but the biofilm needs to be wiped off regularly too.

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

You could just move the filter, the media, substrate and fish immediately over to the 32g for an instant cycle. Are you planning on breaking down the 10g?

And are you planning on getting any more corys?

4. katiemorrison94 Member Member

You definatley need more corys. They need to be in groups of 6+ to not be stressed out.

5. reds Member Member

El337 it's OK to put the Cory's in while it's cycling? The 10 gallon is going to be home for my male Betta which currently is in a 3 gallon. I have a extra filter for the Betta for the 10 gallon until I can put the filter media back in. Yah plan on buying another 4-5 Cory's.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If your existing filter is cycled & you're not adding new fish then you can just move it & everything over, when you do add new fish just monitor the water while the bb catches up to the new bioload.

7. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd do exactly as Coradee suggested.

As for the betta, you can move that 3g filter over to the 10g. If it doesn't fit, you can move just the filter media over to the new 10g filter.

8. reds Member Member

Thanks for the great advice tomorrow I will move everything over I have to work nights so can't do it till tomorrow morning.

Can the Betta be without substrate for a while? I get paid at the end of the month so he'll be without substrate for a while.

9. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I think he'd be fine. :)

10. reds Member Member

Thanks el337