Cory cats keep dying

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
21
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 55 gallon with 2 blood parrots (male,female), 1 bristlenose pleco, and 5 albino cory cats. About 3 weeks ago the original 5 cory cats I had in the tank died over the span of a couple weeks. After they died I went out and purchased 5 more from a different store. Tonight I saw one of the cats stuck on the filter dead. If they die again I will not be purchasing more cories. Are there other bottom feeders that fit well in my tank?

Also the water parameters are reading great 0,0,10.
 

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,768
Reaction score
706
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
It's worrisome that the lot ones all died along with 2 new batches. It sounds like you didn't do a QT, so it's hard to say if they're completely unrelated.

Cories are my favorite, hardy bottom feeders. The others that I've had have been a Ko more sensitive to water hardness. Perhaps some mystery snails would be good to tide you over as a clean up crew. They are very nice-looking.
 

Ksuvet

Well Known Member
Messages
1,288
Reaction score
9
Points
73
Experience
1 year
I had a bit of a similar situation with new Panda and Emerald Corys about 4 months ago. Lost 7-8 of the them in a four day period. Not a clue what happened.
Then I started QTing the fish and have never seen a loss since. I was ready to give up on them but now they are doing just fine.

I would highly recommend a quarantine before they go in the big tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
21
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
All 3 stores I purchase fish and plants from quarantine their shipments for at least 3-4 weeks before selling.
 

Ksuvet

Well Known Member
Messages
1,288
Reaction score
9
Points
73
Experience
1 year
Yeah, but lord knows whats in those tanks themselves and if they are cleaned routinely. Which I doubt.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
21
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
Ksuvet said:
Yeah, but lord knows whats in those tanks themselves and if they are cleaned routinely. Which I doubt.
I personally know that those stores clean their tanks on a weekly basis. That is the reason I shop at LFS instead of the big chains. I know when and how they preform water changes. That is the reason I'm kinda stumped about what is killing the fish. I called the owner and she is calling her breeder about the cory cats.
 

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,768
Reaction score
706
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years
fishingman001 said:
I personally know that those stores clean their tanks on a weekly basis. That is the reason I shop at LFS instead of the big chains. I know when and how they preform water changes. That is the reason I'm kinda stumped about what is killing the fish. I called the owner and she is calling her breeder about the cory cats.
That's phenomenal to have such a good LFS. Please post an update when you find out more.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
21
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
endlercollector said:
That's phenomenal to have such a good LFS. Please post an update when you find out more.
I will. I know the one store orders from segrest farms and the other 2 order from their own breeders. I should hear something by tomorrow.
 

Ksuvet

Well Known Member
Messages
1,288
Reaction score
9
Points
73
Experience
1 year
Thats good that your LFS is like that. Many are not unfortunately. I hope the problem gets solved.

I still think no matter where you get fish quarantine is the way to go. I learned the hard way......not only with the Coys I mentioned before but I lost half of Cherry Barbs from a new addition.

Good luck with everything....Don't give up on the Cory's!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
21
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
So apparently they are having issues with several species. They are trying to find the cause.
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,321
Reaction score
12,253
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
What coryspecies are you talking about Fishingman? Keeping about 150 Corys (10 species) i've only had problems with C.Habrosus. Think a lot of species are hardened and easy to keep (even breed) Did you feed high protein food, being 95% carnivores?? In Europe some bad bred ones are coming from the Tjech Republic (fi Pandas)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
21
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
What coryspecies are you talking about Fishingman? Keeping about 150 Corys (10 species) i've only had problems with C.Habrosus. Think a lot of species are hardened and easy to keep (even breed) Did you feed high protein food, being 95% carnivores?? In Europe some bad bred ones are coming from the Tjech Republic (fi Pandas)
I only asked about the albino corys (Corydoras aeneus). They eat NLS small pellets and algae wafers along with the brine shrimp that get to the bottom.
 

_Fried_Bettas_

Well Known Member
Messages
3,626
Reaction score
85
Points
218
Experience
More than 10 years
Things I know that can kill corys, too many of these I know from personal experience

1. Water that is too warm (summertime here kills cat)
2. Jagged substrate such as Fluorite
3. Dirty substrate (gives them infections on their noses)
4. Poor acclimatization
5. Not getting enough food, too much competition for food from other fish
6. The normal range of things that kill any other fish such as ammonia, etc
7. Bad luck
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,321
Reaction score
12,253
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
fishingman001 said:
I only asked about the albino corys (Corydoras aeneus). They eat NLS small pellets and algae wafers along with the brine shrimp that get to the bottom.
Aeneus is really one of the most hardened Corys to me. I am keeping 4 kinds of Aeneus and never had dead ones for years. Some are in even in unheated tanks. Please use algaewafers as secundairy food (not as main) cause thse fish are for a big part carnivores as said. Strange you've these problems with this species!!!
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom