Cory cats have ich???

JoeSmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alright well I woke up today to find two of my cories covered in white. One is much worse than the other, he is breathing very rapidly and the white covering his body looks like he has rolled up spider webs on him. I'm not sure how to describe it exactly, but it doesn't look like someone salted him, its like a vein of white... I'm sure its ich but can it look like this?

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends how far along it is. I just had ich decimate 8 of my 10 cories this week. Bad situation. Crank that temp up, start doing some daily water changes. I ended up half dosing with Kordons Ich-Attack. Seems to have helped with the two left. Good luck. (If you end up using meds be sure to remove your carbon from the filter.)

Joe

JoeSmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks man I bought some coppersafe meds... Which I realized means it has copper in it when I got home Is copper very harmful to cories or can I use it>

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't think the copper is good with the cories. Might have to research it a bit.

JoeSmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alright, Thanks!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear that you're fish are dealing with ICH. Here is a link to some GRAPHIC photos of fish disease. Maybe it will help you determine if your fish do indeed have ICH:

https://www.jbl.de/onlinehospitaluk/perpicture/index.php?Step=2&GalleryId=2

My best recommendation for ICH is to increase the water temperature to 86 degrees. Leave it there for a full two weeks even if the fish appear to be free of the parasite prior to the end of the two weeks. Ich may appear worse before it gets better.

Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Warmer water requires more oxygen. If you think you don't have enough surface water movement then adding an air stone/supply line will help.

Can you post any photos of your ill fish? I'm not certain that ICH is what we are dealing with here. Have you checked into Velvet disease? There should also be photos of Velvet in the link above.

If your fish do have ICH it may be a severe case and medicines may be necessary. I'll have to let others give you recommendations on medicines.

Best wishes for your fish. I hope they pull through!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads