Cory cats and snails in QT?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by tokiodreamy, May 30, 2016.

1. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hey all! I just set up my first QT! Its a 10g barebottom with a Fluval Aqua clear 30. I'm seeding the filter media in my 29g main tank. It's been seeding for about a week I believe. Not quite sure I'll double check on that.
    However I do plan to add stability every day until I notice there's no spikes.

I'm planning to get 3-4 neon tetras today in the 10g QT eventually for my 20g tank.

I'm looking to also eventually get 2 mystery snails and 8 panda cory cats. Do these guys need to go in my QT? I'm planning to use prazi pro and have them in there for 3-4 weeks. Will prazipro be okay for the corys and snails or do I have to have them in there separately and not dose? I'm waiting for my 20g to finish its mini cycle before I get the snails and corys anyway but I'm planning ahead. :)

CindiL you commented on my original QT post and told me about prazi pro so I'm not sure if you have any experience using it (or not using it) with corys and mysterys. TexasDomer you also commented on my original post. Coradee your knowledge of cory cats ;)

Thanks guys!

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,982
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Quarantine is always a good idea but bare bottomed tanks can be a problem for corys unless the bottom is kept scrupulously clean, I'd suggest for qt'ing the corys a thin layer of sand would be a good idea.
    As for the prazipro I've never used it or any equivalent meds but have heard others use it for corys with no ill effects

3. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I have some leftover sand that I can use. Should I wait until I'm done with all my other fish before I add the sand for the corys? This would in turn add them last to the tank.

4. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +2,378
    Experience:
    5 years
    Congratulations on your QT and new fish :)

Prazi Pro is safe for all aquatic life except worms lol ;)

I have cories, snails, shrimp etc., never had an issue with anyone. If I get some new fish that have something going on like flukes which are microscopic they may bottom sit some at first or hover. As the flukes leave their skin and gills they leave little microscopic tears which can't feel great. Some people add a little aquarium salt to help healing but if you are doing lots of water changes in between treatments that will probably be enough.

I wouldn't dose more often then weekly with a large water change in between. A couple of week apart doses is usually enough treatment unless you see signs that you need to do more.

5. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thanks cindiL!

I'm planning to keep the fish in the QT for 3-4 weeks.
    So if I'm understanding you and the bottle correctly i could:
    - add fish and prazi pro
    - after a week do my regular water change routine
    - wait another week
    - do another water change and redose prazi pro
    - wait another week
    - at the 4th week add fish to my regular tank

Is that correct or should I dose prazipro more than twice? (Obviously I'd dose weekly if I saw something funny happening).

I'm excited to finally add more fish! My only issue is that I want to get more fish but I'm sure I'm not supposed to add fish to the QT until the first batch is out? Is that right? Sorry my first QT tank!

6. superbutterfly12

superbutterfly12Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    Twice is plenty for prazipro. For the week in between you could do another mild preventive treatment such as kordon ick attack or melafix/pimafix they are herbal and supposed to be safe 7 day treatments.

7. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +2,378
    Experience:
    5 years
    If you just added them it wouldn't matter. But if you already have them in for a week or longer, I'd wait till they're out or you could end up hurting all of them inadvertently.

I'd do two doses, two weeks in a row, instead of the 1st and 3rd week. Then if you feel you need more after that you can do more (doesn't hurt to do more, just isn't usually necessary).

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,063
    Experience:
    2 years
    QT all fish before adding to display tank, and wait until the previous batch of fish are out before adding more to the QT. I don't QT snails.

9. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'm just worried since I've seen snails in a tank with ich at a store before. Not sure if they can carry it or not. Only had snails for my first year.

10. TexasDomer

Ratings:
    +9,063
    Experience:
    2 years
    The snails can't get ich (at least not the same species as the fish - maybe they have their own similar protozoan disease?).

They can carry it mechanically, but I don't think there's a high chance of that, and remember that fish usually get ich only when stressed. I've moved snails between tanks (QT had fish with ich), and have had no issues.

11. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Makes sense. Just double checking my "knowledge" before I go out and buy them. Just worried me since there was only 2-3 fish in a tank of snails and 1 of the fish had ich spots. So I didnt buy the snail.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  12. TexasDomer

Ratings:
    +9,063
    Experience:
    2 years
    It shouldn't have been infected. Are you sure they weren't nerite eggs maybe?

13. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Oops sorry! Let me clarify... in one of the snail tanks I saw 1 of the fish had ich spots. Not the snail! Reread my response and I totally see how that was unclear!

14. TexasDomer

Ratings:
    +9,063
    Experience:
    2 years
    Ah okay, that makes way more sense!