Cory cats and gravel

1. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

So i know cory cats and gravel is not ideal. However, I'm looking for opinions. I have black national geographic gravel in my 20g. It's the 2nd smallest gravel size since the smallest was almost like sand (which I didnt want in this tank). It doesn't seem hard or sharp at all. But I've never kept cory cats, so before I buy them (probably around fall or winter) can I keep them on this gravel?
    Thanks!

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Keep your water clean and your substrate vacuumed, snd it will be fine.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

While they may not suffer (as long as it's not sharp or dirty), they can't exhibit their natural behaviors in gravel. I personally wouldn't put them on anything but sand.

Why didn't you want sand?

4. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I have sand in my 29g and I can't stand it. It always looks dirty and I can't stick my siphon straight in it to clean it.

5. revelations Member Member

Is that the sand in your avatar? Post a bigger pic?

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Dark sand doesn't look dirty, and you shouldn't need to stick your siphon in it. I hover mine about an inch above the substrate, maybe less, and I can pick up all the waste.

7. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

One of my 'sands' is Caribsea Amazon. A product that is representative of that found in the Amazon river where cories come from. When I first opened the box I thought I'd goofed, because the grain size was quite large. But river sand isn't necessarily powder fine, like ocean beach sand.

As long as the substrate is clean, the cories will be fine.

Check out these videos.
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35740

8. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

My avatar is my 5g shrimp tank at work. I have sand in that tank as well.

Mind you my sand is white and i regret getting white. No matter how much i swirl my siphon, I can't get all the gunk on top of the sand and that bothers me because i want a real clean tank. And with dark sand I won't be able to tell but I'll question if it's really clean or not. Sand just really isn't for me I guess

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You might be having other issues if you have lots of gunk on top of the sand that won't come up. I have sand in all of my tanks, and no issues with gunk stuck on the sand.

10. eliscofield12 Member Member

My tank had black sand and I changed it out after just a month because no matter what I did it always looked dirty.

11. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello tok...

Corydoras and polished pea gravel is perfect. It doesn't compact like other bottom material, so it doesn't create water problems. It's easy to clean and the polished version is easy on the barbells. I've used it for many years in my Cory tanks and wouldn't use anything else.

Old

12. axel Member Member

its hard to suck the debris without sucking the sand

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can hold the siphon tube ~1 inch above the substrate suck the debris up. As long as you don't have super light sand, it shouldn't be an issue.

14. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Most of it is a bunch of little poops mainly from snails and shrimp. I'd love to put cory cats in my 29g however, I can't find the warm water flag tailed panda cories ANYWHERE. I've even tried specialty stores and on this forum.

Hey Old!

I'm not exactly sure where the gravel I have stands. It's small but not too small. It's smaller than my old gravel and a lot softer but I'm still unsure. Mind you this is the second time I've had gravel so I'm not well versed in substrate types.

15. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

Do you have a scientific name for these "warm water flag tailed Panda Cories"? I know of longfinned Corydoras panda, but they have the same temperature requirements as regular Pandas because they are just a mutation of that species.

16. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello again tok...

If the gravel is a product from the pet store, then it should be fine for aquarium use. I prefer it to sand. Sand is harder to clean and if this is your first tank experience, the last thing you need is the bottom material compacting and then you have circulation issues with the water not moving through the substrate and creating toxic areas. Gravel is much better for the plants you have that need to go into the bottom material.

Old

17. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

C.oiapoquensis are known as flag tail pandas

18. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Hey old!
    By no means is this my first tank. I started this hobby around 2010. I only had 1 tank until I moved out and into my own place in 2014. That's when I got 1 more at home and 1 at my new job in 2015. I also upgraded that original tank to a 20g long. And I recently got my first official QT!

My other 2 tanks (5g and 29g) have sand which at the time I liked the idea of. Now I'm kind of regretting it because I find gravel much easier to clean and you dont have to worry about accidentally getting sand sucked up the siphon or accidentally shooting the sand everywhere in the tank. And it's the reason I purposely got MTS to stir my sand... which actually they're not reproducing fast enough so i still have to stir it just not as often.

I've never kept cories before and love the look of the pandas, but I do want whats best for my fish. And thats why I'm hesitant to put them in my tank with gravel.

It is from petsmart. It's the national geographic gravel. I wonder if there's an official size somewhere. I'm just worried about the underbellies and barbels.

19. Landos Well Known Member Member

In my 20gal long I have 5 platties. They are well fed, and used to cover my sand in poop. I would gravel vacuum and within 24hrs, it was covered again. That was the reason I didnt want corys in that tank.
    Then, one day I bought ghost shrimp. Ever since then, I have almost zero poop on my sand. Not sure if this will work for you, but it solved my dirty sand issues

20. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello again tok...

If the gravel is a product from the pet store, then it should be fine for aquarium use. I prefer it to sand. Sand is harder to clean and if this is your first tank experience, the last thing you need is the bottom material compacting and then you have circulation issues with the water not moving through the substrate and creating toxic areas. Gravel is much better for the plants you have that need to go into the bottom.

Old