Cory Cats Acting Wierd

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We recently added 2 cory cats to our 45 gallon tank. Tank mates include :2 dwarf gourami, 9 male guppies, and 6 mollies. Water all tested in normal range. (Had hubs take a sample to our lfs to be tested because I'm out of testing supplies till the kit I ordered comes) they were acting normal, well what I think is normal I've never had them before, but all day I'll find them laying on their sides in the gravel, think they're dead, go to scoop them out and they swim away like nothing happened. Is this normal cory behavior? I'm so confused!!!!

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its common behavior in store tanks, like a coping mechanism for stress. Corys like to be in larger groups generally, depending on the breed and the environment. My first suggestion would be to go get more. I have pairs of Pygmy Corys that do just fine, but in very heavily planted tanks with signal fish, and I keep a close eye on them for the first couple weeks to watch for signs of stress.

kbbartel93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Our tank is pretty heavily planted with some hiding holes too but I'll go get some more this weekend. We wanted to but we wanted a couple varieties and they didn't have the other ones we wanted. That and I didn't want to throw the tank off by adding too many at once

Well I found the smaller of the two dead. I can't find the second one so idk if he is too or not.

Second one moves when I tried to net him, I thought he was dead too, but he's not acting like a typical cory so idk if he will make it. Poor guy, I was hoping they'd be ok without a school until I could get more this weekend.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom