Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Cory Catfish Help Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve O, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Steve O Valued Member Member

I rescued a Cory cat that his whiskers were all gone. In fact he had not even a mouth but a huge hole there for his mouth. He looks to be young but now that his mouth has started to heal. His mouth is very small and I don't think he can get much food if any at all. Should I let it play out and see what happens or what else can I do. He keeps opening new wounds to try and feed. Will salt baths help?

2. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you get a pic? Hopefully @DoubleDutch will be on later.

3. AJE Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have him in with sand or gravel?

4. Steve O Valued Member Member

It's not a fine sand but it is sand. The other Cory cats spit it out of their gills

Pics  

Poor little guy 

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Ouchhhh. Sorry to say but I doubt it is gonna make it though I am surprised about its appearance / shape / health.

I'd treat with a strong antibacterial med in an attempt but the barbells need to regrow (as that is possible the tissue be eaten away that far).

Fingers crossed.

6. Steve O Valued Member Member

Update on Cory. He is still alive! I have been giving him salt baths daily for 30 min with low salt ratio. It seems to be helping with his mouth also. As long as I can keep infection out I think he might come out of it with time. I'm still not giving up

7. CandyCane701 Well Known Member Member

I'm glad he's still alive. Hoping for better updates to continue.

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Is it able to eat?

9. Steve O Valued Member Member

My Cory passed A few days ago. I tried to do everything I could to save him. When I got him he was already bad. The other 2 I got from my neighbor I finally got them to passable and the are starting to grow barbells back!

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry to hear he didn’t make it but you did all you could, good to hear the others are doing well.