Cory Cat With White Lump On Fin Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Billyboj, Jan 16, 2019.

1. BillybojValued MemberMember

IMG_0934.JPG
    I just noticed this on the fun of my Cory catfish. There is a very new outbreak of ich (noticed it yesterday) but I don’t think this is ich because of the size. At this point the ich seems to be contained to my cardinal tetra and my clown pleco. The serpea tetra and Cory cats are showing zero signs of ich at the moment.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. ValerieAdamsFishlore VIPMember

3. BillybojValued MemberMember

If it helps the fish is acting totally normal, eagerly attacking shrimp pellets and sifting through the sand with the other Corys.

4. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

This is probably a secretion from a gland just behind the dorsal fin of this beautiful C.aeneus. Funny is it is mostly seen in this species (only once seen it in paleatus)..

If it is that (what I expect) will dissappear on its own. You might need to check the variaty in its diet (but looking at this fish I'd say it is perfectly okay).

Edit : Were the sold as Black Venezuelan ?
    Then it is in fact the closely to C.aeneus related C.schultzei "black". Answer is the same but different species hahaha

5. BillybojValued MemberMember

They were sold as green Cory catfish from PetSmart. I don’t know the species names for them.

As far as diet goes I do feed a community blend fish pellet also along with flakes and mixed frozen food. I make sure to feed enough so the catfish get some. I did have one lay eggs all over the place about a week ago, from that I figured the diet was pretty good.

And thank you, I will keep an eye on them the next couple of days. (since there is an ich problem with my cardinal tetra, it will be a very close eye)

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Hahahaha they are so incredibly dark I started to doubt about the species. The red finnage made me extra doubt. So C.aeneus it is. They look really great.
    Diet is fine to me.

Noticed spot on cardinal : There is a resistant strain in cardinals !!!

7. BillybojValued MemberMember

Yeah they were a much lighter shade for months, then one by one they darkened but a good bit.

And cardinals have been an issue for me. This is the second group I have gotten. The first group died off a few days after I got them. This group showed no sign of ich (I turned my quarantine tank into a breeding project for gbr) so I just added them in and added some aquarium salts. And now all 15 have spots all over them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice