Cory cat with africans Question 

ang1329

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Today my brother came home with an albino cory cat and wanted me to put it in with my african cichlids. My prediction is that the cichlids who are still small will kill the small cory. Or the cory will die from the higher pH. I didn't want to just kill the fish so i put him in anyway. I do know that if he survives i should probably buy a few more because they like to school. Does anybody think he will survive? Should i try to find a new home for him fast as possible?

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Cories do not belong with African cichlids. The cichlids are far too aggressive for them.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, there are catfish that can hang with africans, but corys cannot.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you are looking for a bottom feeder try the sydontis catfish family

t_boneshacone

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea def wouldnt put a cory in mine killed a rainbow shark that was quite a bit larger than them, and it made me mad, these things are pretty mean

BciJoe

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've also heard that africans will kill corys.

I've had rainbow sharks that were beating up other fish, and to experiment, I put one in a breeding convict tank, and the other in a breeding christmas fulu tanks.

The one in the convict tank minded his business.

The one in the Fulu tank chased them all around and kept them away from their own caves!!!

I have to get rid of them...

I had 1 male and 13 females, with about 3 holding at the time, and didn't want to risk them losing babies over this.

Lesson learned... those rainbow and redtail sharks sold alongside docile community fish at your LFS, are not!

Synodontis are great for africa cichlid tanks... many are from the same lakes these cichlids come from. and they can be tough too!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the forum BciJoe!

It's been 3 months since the last post in this thread, so be sure to check the dates of threads

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads