Cory Cat Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Itsme, Apr 22, 2017.

1. ItsmeValued MemberMember

How many can I keep in a 5gal?

2. MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

0, unfortunately.

3. cooldude1315New MemberMember

I've kept a lot of corys and they are very hardy. I used to have 1 for like 2 years in a ten gallon. So I think 1 or 2 would be fine in a five.

4. MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

They shoal, even the minimum shoal of 6 which seems to be the consensus on this forum is quite small.

1 or 2 is not adequate, especially in a 5 gallon.

They live far longer than 2 years in captivity.

5. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

They live much longer than 2 years and keeping them in such a small aquarium will cause health problems like stunting and they will be in a constant state of stress. Cories are a shoaling fish and prefer schools to feel safe, they're social fish.

A school of cories will not work in a 5 gallon.

Even pygmy cories need double that for a minimum setup.

Instead there is plenty of microfish species available that you can keep in a 5 gallon comfortably I suppose.

I don't use any aquariums smaller than 20 for anything long term for multiple reasons.

6. AndromedaValued MemberMember

Completely agree with this and to add to that, Cory cats also create a considerable amount of waste that would throw the balance of a tiny 5 gallon out of whack.
    Cory cats will easily live to 5 years if kept in a 20-30+ gallon tank.
    Why don't you consider a beautiful betta instead?

7. GoldieBubblesValued MemberMember

Also many people want to get Cory cats as a "clean up crew" which they are not. Why not get a betta with a couple of snails and maybe depending on how nice he is a few shrimp?

8. KasshanWell Known MemberMember

if the tank is +40g then ye they clean excess food, but not much else, they dont want to eat poop on top of the sand. a tank that small would be torture for a cory. bare-minimum for cories is a Trio in a 10g, but even i consider that extreme,so i dont recommend

9. cooldude1315New MemberMember

Ya I actually agree with this a lot I have a school of 6 with my discus in a 75 and they are all doing fine. I guess now that I think about it the Cory in my 10 gallon was always kind of skittish.

10. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Actually, cories should live 15-25 years. 5 years would be pretty short for them.

11. KasshanWell Known MemberMember

indeed my cories are just nearing 5yrs personally. i expect them to live at least another 15yrs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice