Cory Cat Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Itsme, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Itsme

ItsmeValued MemberMember

How many can I keep in a 5gal?

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

0, unfortunately.

3. cooldude1315

cooldude1315New MemberMember

I've kept a lot of corys and they are very hardy. I used to have 1 for like 2 years in a ten gallon. So I think 1 or 2 would be fine in a five.

4. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

They shoal, even the minimum shoal of 6 which seems to be the consensus on this forum is quite small.

1 or 2 is not adequate, especially in a 5 gallon.

They live far longer than 2 years in captivity.

5. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

They live much longer than 2 years and keeping them in such a small aquarium will cause health problems like stunting and they will be in a constant state of stress. Cories are a shoaling fish and prefer schools to feel safe, they're social fish.

A school of cories will not work in a 5 gallon.

Even pygmy cories need double that for a minimum setup.

Instead there is plenty of microfish species available that you can keep in a 5 gallon comfortably I suppose.

I don't use any aquariums smaller than 20 for anything long term for multiple reasons.

6. Andromeda

AndromedaValued MemberMember

Completely agree with this and to add to that, Cory cats also create a considerable amount of waste that would throw the balance of a tiny 5 gallon out of whack.
    Cory cats will easily live to 5 years if kept in a 20-30+ gallon tank.
    Why don't you consider a beautiful betta instead?

7. GoldieBubbles

GoldieBubblesValued MemberMember

Also many people want to get Cory cats as a "clean up crew" which they are not. Why not get a betta with a couple of snails and maybe depending on how nice he is a few shrimp?

8. Kasshan

KasshanWell Known MemberMember

if the tank is +40g then ye they clean excess food, but not much else, they dont want to eat poop on top of the sand. a tank that small would be torture for a cory. bare-minimum for cories is a Trio in a 10g, but even i consider that extreme,so i dont recommend

9. cooldude1315

cooldude1315New MemberMember

Ya I actually agree with this a lot I have a school of 6 with my discus in a 75 and they are all doing fine. I guess now that I think about it the Cory in my 10 gallon was always kind of skittish.

10. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Actually, cories should live 15-25 years. 5 years would be pretty short for them.

11. Kasshan

KasshanWell Known MemberMember

indeed my cories are just nearing 5yrs personally. i expect them to live at least another 15yrs.