Cory cat mystery

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Boogabooga, Jan 5, 2013.

1. BoogaboogaNew MemberMember

Well here is the mystery I have an albino Cory catfish that I have had for a few years after they were passed down to me from my brother wanting to put other fish in his tank so the pair is almost 5 years old now or so, and for as long as I have had the pair this one has survived without any eyes and its the strangest thing so could anyone could tell me how?
    image.jpg

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore.

When a living creature, humans included, loses one of the senses, remaining senses become more acute.

I really do not find it all that odd that the fish is still alive even with its loss of sight. Kudos to you for taking such good care of the fish. :)

I hope you enjoy the site. I'm sure others will respond before long.

Ken

3. AquariaUK

AquariaUKValued MemberMember

Strange! Cories have barbels and since they are bottom dwellers the don't need eyes as much as the other fish. So it's possible, but I think you have a healthy tank which is the most important thing. There are blind cave-fish in deep rivers which evolved to lose the eyes as it was too dark.

How did he lose them?

4. OP
    OP
    B

BoogaboogaNew MemberMember

I'm not exactly how it happened my brother he said that another fish or I believe he said it was a fiddler crab ate them. But he's in good Health cruising around my tank each day I'm really happy with the long life that they have and I hope I have them for years to come.

5. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Hello and Welcome!

I think it says a lot about your fishkeeping practices that this fish has been able to stay happy and healthy all this time even after losing his sight. Way to go :;th

6. TropicalBettaFreak

TropicalBettaFreakNew MemberMember

Wow! Thats amazing!
    He's a very handsome cory cat. Most albino animals are fairly hard to keep, but it seems like you're doing a great job caring for them!

7. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to Fishlore!!!

That is a great share about your Cory. I do believe it is still alive because you are giving the Cory a safe and healthy environment.

8. lp89

lp89Valued MemberMember

Amazing! What a special fish.
    Just curious, does he spend more time alone, or does he closely follow his buddy?

If you have space in your tank you could consider getting your cories another few buddies. I kept a pair of peppered cories for about 1.5 years before learning that the prefer to be in numbers. I believe most people suggest a school of 6 is ideal.

I have 4 peppered in my 30g tank and I can't tell you how much of a difference I noticed in their behaviour when my older cories met new friends.

Good job with your cory so far. He is very lucky to have you as his owner. :)

9. OP
    OP
    B

BoogaboogaNew MemberMember

He/she usualy sticks close to his/her buddy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice