Cory Cat Having Problems :( Help 

Chase J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, so my cory (Ghandi) has been having some problems lately. First of all its body is not white like the other albino cories, its more a pale reddish color. Second its been going to the top and just floating there for intervals of like ten minutes. Third of all, its dorsal fin is all chewed up. I can't quite diagnose that it's fin rot yet, but if it is, I would like to know if fin rot is contagious or not. Please help me on this one, I really need it

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what are the water parimeters? red is usually ammonia and he might be being picked on because hes more stressed and sick id do a quick test of ammonia & nitrites and go from there

Chase J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i did one this morning everythings fine in fact i just updated the parameters. 20 nitrate, 0nitrite, and 0 ammmonia

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
how old is the tank and how long has it been cycled that they are in?

Chase J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the tank is about 4 months old and its been cycled for a little over a week but all of the other fish are doing great

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hmm well only thing I can think of is cories need an established tank of at least a month or so..all the reading ive done and keeping them myself, they are super sensitive but maybe others have some suggestions..the red is usually bursted capillaries from the ammonia...usually around the tails and along the belly ...some pics might help also

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is he having problems getting back down to the bottom or can he go down when he wants to? If he's having problems getting down to the bottom it sounds like his swim bladder is messed up. That's usually a secondary effect to a bigger problem. I'm guessing it's the established tank thing that Shawnie's talking about.

However, if his fin is really torn up and he has an infection, that could cause the swim bladder problems.

Maybe you could post a pic?

I'm sorry you're having troubles!

Chase J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well i know that the tail turns red when there is ammonia thats happendd before but the entire bod is pinkish but no when he wants to he can swim freely to the bottom. and when i take pictures the color is normally messed up cuz of the flash and when i turn the flash off the picture has a yellow tint because of my walls (are yellow) and its normally blurry but ill try.

Chase J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
now all three platies have the same problem but its just the dorsal fin. what is it is it fin rot? i dont have the money for a quaranitine tank

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what test kit are you using? if its been only cycled for a week, they could have left over effects of ammonia so maybe a water change with some prime or stress coat+ will help alot

Chase J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
oops sorry i meant to say cories not platys lol but yeah i did a water change a day aga and added lots of stress coat

Chase J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ive been using the api master kit but its been cycled for about two and a half weeks

bettafish2816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
my best guess if they all just have the chunk of dorsal fin taken out is that someone is nipping at them, probably the barbs if i had to take a guess. i'd watch them for a while and see if you notice anything.

i'd go ahead and do a another water change and add some more stress coat, really pristine water is the best thing you can do right now

Chase J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
no the barbs have been very nice they arent nipping but im sure its possible

CWO4GUNNER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When you say you put in a bunch of stress coat, make sure that whatever you are using during water chnages that you are not over dosing in proportion to your water changes and periodicity. In other words don't guess and make sure you stick to instruction more-less. The Cory's has barbs on its dorsal and barbells to keep from being eaten. These can get damaged by nets and sometimes rugged substrate, gravel, sharp ornaments. Also if they all are behaving the same now going up for extended periods to get air, maybe there in not enough oxygen and circulation, check your equipment and make sure everything is working..

Chase J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't think you can overdose on that stuff.

CWO4GUNNER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Although I too have read people write on this forum that its perfectly safe and that you can use as much as you want, I don't know if any of that is true. What I do know is that there is a reason why API is required to give dosing instructions and that they are also required by the EPA and OSHA to label it as a hazardous substance. Having been a hazardous material coordinator in the USCG I always take the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) seriously.

Chase J said:
I don't think you can overdose on that stuff.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't recall posts saying to use as much as you want. Can you point me in the direction of those posts?

Most anything we use in a tank is probably a hazard to humans. IMO it's not going to hurt to add an extra teaspoon or so to help tattered fins.
I could be wrong but, The article linked to, I believe doesn't pertain to this situation. It pertains to human ingesting, if you get it in your eye or have a massive spill.

cerianthus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CWO4GUNNER said:
Although I too have read people write on this forum that its perfectly safe and that you can use as much as you want, I don't know if any of that is true. What I do know is that there is a reason why API is required to give dosing instructions and that they are also required by the EPA and OSHA to label it as a hazardous substance. Having been a hazardous material coordinator in the USCG I always take the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) seriously.
Agree with Gunner all the way. Wether it does or not is not that important but why take chance or risk the health of fish when can be properly used as per instruction. I guess I am not the only who read the Safety Sheets, Gunner!
Another thing, colors may all depends on how one perceives colors, albino cory should show some pinkish color as does some other corys may show under the patterns and scales. I am not sure without actually seeing wether hemmorrhaging and as far as tattered dorsal fin, possible that barbs are the reason or other nippy fish. Stay back in dark room only with fish tank light on and watch rather than in front of tank. They may behave well when movements in front of tank (expecting food ?)
I'll expect, if were an internal bleeding to give off reddish tint, it/they would have stop eating.
Check pH if have not done yet to ensure it is not too extreme.
As far as corys dashing toward the top from time to time, this maybe a normal behavior.

CWO4GUNNER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hay, don't get me wrong here. I too have been tempted just to turn the bottle upside down and squirt liberal guesstimate of all these products but Iv been taught to be sure because organisms human or animal are affected in many of the same ways. Its just a wise consideration, that's all. Carry on...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom