cory cat flipping on side

1. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

Hey Everyone!

About 2-3 months ago, I bought 7 new false jullii cory cats. I took them home and started them in QT. Something quickly overtook them, and I treated with Kanaplex by Seachem to kill it off. I lost 3 fish, and had to go through 2 treatments with the meds. The anti-bacterial medications seemed to be working, but a few people here mentioned that it might be parasites. The other fish were never totally asymptomatic, so I kept them in QT until 3 weeks ago, when I deemed them OK to go into my main tank.

I went on a backpacking trip for the last two weeks (got home today, finished with 9 miles this morning!!) and had my mom petsit while I was away. She fed every few days, and said they all looked great. When I got home, the symptoms were back. One fish was laying on its side near the back of the tank.

When the fish first had the disease, they were on their sides, breathing heavily. When they tried to right themselves, they'd swim all over the tank sideways until they landed upright. They also showed some swim bladder problems, listing one way or another.

Now, the one fish is showing similar symptoms, but not exactly the same. He flipped on his side, but his breathing wasn't nearly as heavy as it was in the fish that died. It was almost normal. He was able to right himself pretty easily, and isn't showing swim bladder problems other than the fact he was on his side for a minute or two.

Now, my question: I am planning on treating the tank again with Kanamycin, because this helped them a ton the last time. However, last time it didn't go away, but there was a gap between the 2 treatments and the disease was on pretty badly. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the sickness to kick the bucket for the last time?

Water parameters:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5 (planted with purigen)
    pH: 8.0

Thanks for all your help!

2. delta5 Well Known Member Member

A little aquarium salt, no carbon while medicating, and don't miss or prematurely stop treating with meds.

edit: Up the water temp to 82f.

3. k9z3boys Member Member

do NOT put salt in the water with cory's....
    have you tried peas in case its a swim bladder issue?

yes, remove the carbon filter when you medicate. are you going to medicate him by himself in the QT or the entire tank?

4. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

I think I am going to treat the entire tank, just because it's been a long standing issue and I'm sick of dealing with it. I'd rather ensure I wipe out all the bacteria in one fell swoop than put the fish back in the tank where another fish has an unnoticeable infection.

I've read that salt is bad because they are scaleless, and even though people have gotten by with small doses, I'd rather stay safe than sorry. I'm tired of watching fish die…

I haven't tried peas yet… Can swim bladder issues alone result in flipping over and laying on the side? I thought that the fish would begin floating, too...

5. delta5 Well Known Member Member

de-shelled peas will clean their system out. Raising the water temp will speed up the process.

6. k9z3boys Member Member

when ours had swim bladder issues, they didn't float.... the sunk or spun...or flipped.
    peas are mostly for constipation but that can also help with swim bladder. our mollies were saved by pimafix and peas....

7. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Does the garlic trick used for bettas work?

8. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

So do you guys think that it is a swim bladder issue and not an infection? What makes me think I need to treat is the fact that 3 fish died while having severe symptoms. I will try the blanched pea while treating, though, and see if it helps at all.

9. virusmk Well Known Member Member

If you had similar sympthoms previously and lost fish because of it than most likely it could be a bacteria/parasite infection.
    Can you see their poop if so what colour it is. If its whitish or pale than you might have to deal with parasitic/bacterial infection.

Make sure you treat whole tank not just one fish because whatever it caries most likely will spread among other fish.
    Peas can help with bloating but if you have to deal with infection than best bet is to consider thera a+ fish pelets and antibiotic like kanamicyn or metronidazole

good luck and keep us posted

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Salt treatment will not harm corys as long as you don't use too much they can tolerate it for short periods, peas even if they were to eat them won't do anything for them as their digestive systems aren't set up to process vegetable matter.
    If the symptoms are the same as you've dealt with before then treat the whole tank with the kanamycin

11. fishingdeep Member Member

I wonder if a pinch or something doesn't work go on ..... why not ask a breeder first?

12. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

Well one catfish died sometime this morning… I don't know if he was the one on his side last night or not, but he was on his side this morning and I just found him dead.

I added the Kanamycin last night--hopefully it'll have been in time to save the other fish.

13. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Be careful. Kanamycin will wipe out your biofilter. Don't listen to the bottle ha. It took mine out on the first dose.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. plecostomuch Member Member

Poor guys

15. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Are you adding conditioner with each water change? Are you shaking the conditioner up before adding it? Your story reminds me of our first go with fish and didn't know we needed to use conditioner.

16. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

Yep! I use Prime with every change. I actually tend to overdose it, just to be safe.

I also have used kanamcin before--I've definitely had the bio-filter die from it. Luckily, my tank is heavily planted this time, so hopefully it won't be as bad.

17. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

So far, so good. There are still a few symptoms, but not as severe. Hopefully this'll be the end of it...