Cory Cat Experts?

Nicholaa

Reaction score
Okay - I have 4 Cory Cats (I think they're all the same coloring too - I think they're all "peppered" or something like that?

Anyways, they used to be 2 and 2 (2 different tanks) and the 2 in one tank were inseperable and the other 2 in the other tank never socialized. Now that I moved the four together, 3 of them always hang out/sleep/play together and there is one that just sort of swims around, eating/nuzzling the bottom of the tank like the "typical catfish". He /she rarely hangs out with the other three.

Can you think of a reason why this may be? I'm beginning to think he's not really a Cory Cat, because he does look slightly different (his front "feelers" are short and the other three Cories' "feelers" are longer.

Is there *any way* to really determine the gender of the Cories? Has anyone had success in having them mate/lay eggs and have fry hatch? The Cories are becoming some of my favorites and I'm just curious to learn more.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are many types and I mean MANY types of Corydoras catfish.  They have a website that specializes in helping us figure out the type of Cory called: 

This should give you some ideas.

Butterfly has bred her cories and has had lovely fry and she would be one you could talk to about the process. I know that water temperature and changes have a lot to do with it.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could you maybe post pics of them?

Nicholaa

Reaction score
Unfortunately my digital camera is like one of the first ones made (oh, like over 5 years old) and it's too slow to get the picture of the fish w/out it being completely blurry. (In the process of buying a new one, but with all my fish purchases lately, I had to make a choice and the digital camera always loses out).

The only difference between the one in question and my other 3 is the length of his barbels (his are short/stubby - don't look like they were injured in any way, just look like that is the way he is) and the others are longer. Well, he is also smaller (I say he because I can't genderize them even with the hints given). He is still very active and doesn't look sick at all, but he doesn't "congregate" with the other 3 Peppered Cories. The other three are just lazy and lay around with each other (and on each other) except at feeding times and then they all spread out seeking droplets from above. The one little guy is always grazing along the tank, never being Mr. Lazy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom