Cory Cat died today, unsure what of / if its a risk to other fish

foxryk

my tank is 105L and i had an ich outbreak about a month ago due to poor water quality from a sudden heatwave that I wasn't equipped to tackle in time. I lost a few fish from that, and didnt replace any of them. Ive had 5 glowlight tetras, 5 rummynose tetras and 3 peppered cory catfish since then, all doing fine and treated for ich accordingly.

Roughly around the time I started treating for ich one of my cory cats suddenly turned very dark and appeared a lot smaller than the other two (both of which to this day look healthy) and the tail fin drooped and it appeared that the top of the tail was moving separately to the bottom, video included from last week (VID_20210816_003754.mp4 - my apologies for the audio i dont know how to remove it and was on call to my friend while i took it). I monitored it for a few days and it didnt display any other symptoms of dropsy or hole in the head (things I was told it'd most likely be), it was just small, dark and had slightly faster gill movements than the other two. It had been eating completely fine for the entire duration of being ill. I dont have anything to quarantine fish in due to being in a financial rut but I am looking into getting a spare tank asap!!

Yesterday once again the fish was the same it's been all month, eating normally, hanging out with the other two cories in the tank just fine. This morning was the same, but in the afternoon as I was getting ready to leave the house I noticed that it was vertically floating in the water, head up, spinning rapidly. Upon closer inspection it appears that the skin on its head was peeling away? This was NOT there yesterday and I have no idea how it happened or when. It died within about 3 minutes of me finding it that way while I tried to set up some tupperware to move him to temporarily to try and see what was wrong. Mouth and barbels were fully intact along with eyes and gills, it just seemed like some sort of burn? There were no noticeable holes or dips in the body or head so I don't believe this could have been HITH however I'm definitely not an expert by any means

I have been searching for a month and cannot find absolutely anything about cories that resembles this at all, and i am incredibly worried that it may be some sort of infectious thing that may happen to my other fish. I checked the water parameters today and there is no ammonia or nitrite, very minimal nitrate, pH is around 7 and I keep the temperature at 25c. All other fish appear healthy and i will be doing a 40% water change shortly, but im unsure on whether i should be medicating for anything as a preventative measure or if this was just an unfortunate disease that developed due to genetics.

Initiate

If the other two cories are fine I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot, definitely keep an eye on the other fish and do a nice big water change but sometimes although frustrating these anomalous things happen. If it had spread to the other fish I would say it would be apparent by now, especially if that cory had been exhibiting these symptoms for a month.

foxryk

If the other two cories are fine I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot, definitely keep an eye on the other fish and do a nice big water change but sometimes although frustrating these anomalous things happen. If it had spread to the other fish I would say it would be apparent by now, especially if that cory had been exhibiting these symptoms for a month.
Thanks a bunch for your response, just got back from buying a quarantine tank just in case anything similar occurs. Definitely keeping an eye on them all, im glad it doesnt seem to be something thats a major threat to the rest of the tank!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
Carbeo
Replies
Views
liana07
Replies
Views