Cory Behavior

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just got some Pygmy Cories. I noticed they dart to the surface a lot, a lot more often than my Otos do. Could this mean I do not have enough oxygen in my water, or do Cories just do it more often? Also they are fairly inactive and sitting at the bottom right now...I'm assuming that's normal as most cats are somewhat nocturnal (it's about 4 pm). One more question, how long is it ok to leave algae wafers in the tank if they haven't eaten it yet?

fish_r_friend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thats normal mine do that all the time

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cory cats actually gulp air and it is utilized in the digestive tract. If they just dart for a second and go back down, that's normal. When they hover near the top, that's when you need to worry.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I leave veggie wafers in over night, their usually gone by then.
Carol

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gunnie said:
Cory cats actually gulp air and it is utilized in the digestive tract. If they just dart for a second and go back down, that's normal. When they hover near the top, that's when you need to worry.
Yes, I was just concerned because they do it so often. I'm probably just paranoid though. :
They won't eat their food still! ??? The snails are having a feast while the Cories are just swimming right by it. I wonder if maybe they were fed something different at the lfs and just need time to get used to it.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
rop their food in after lights out. If they still don't get any for the snails drop a little in two different spots, but always the same two spots. The Corys will get used to where they can find food very fast. They are also probably cleaning up the tiny little scraps left from the snails feed. Are these snails you have put in ?
Carol

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
My cory's are ususally lazy during the day, then by that evening they are swimming all over the place. They will usually skim right over algae wafers until the wafers soften up good, then they are all over em. My cory's like a certain corner of their tank and hang out there all day snoozing until the evening. They are nocturnal. They also like live plants. They breathe at the surface, so it's normal to see them darting to the top for air.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think the Cories got a little of it this time. It is gone so I will drop in another one. I have only been putting in half of a wafer so this time I will put in a whole one. If the Cories don't eat it at least i know the snails will clean it up.
No, the the snails aren't ones I put in...a Pond Snail apparently hitched a ride on a plant and you know the rest of the story. I think they are so cool though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom