Cory behavior

1. nhaiflich Member Member

My new cories came out of qt today. Made it 25 of my planned 28 days:sly: Noticed 2 things through out day I'm curious about. #1 I believe I read on here before that shooting to surface is normal. Not a lot or anything just randomly. Am I remembering correctly? #2 sometimes when they are resting they are just laying on their bellies but other times they are resting on their pelvic fins? Never noticed in qt but I've been watching them a lot more today. Is this something I should be worried about? Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

1 yes quite normal. 2 no nothing to worry about. They have to settle in again. Please be aware they are 95% carnivores. Supply them with good quality food. What species are they ?

3. nhaiflich Member Member

5 are trillies 1 is a sterbai I hope. Since that's what I just ordered more of. DoubleDutch I actually believe you replied to one of my previous posts about figuring it out. Originally thought a haroldschultzi but once got bigger and fatter now think sterbai. Here's the link to more recent photo. If lights weren't out I'd take one now.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/showthread.php?t=174906

4. nhaiflich Member Member

PS... those were from qt. On sand now

5. nhaiflich Member Member

This was a pic from first post

Attached Files:

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Ahhhh, you did a great job fattening it up !!!

7. nhaiflich Member Member

Thank you!

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Looking better :)
    As for them resting on their bellies or fins I find the females tend to rest more on their fins as they have fatter bellies so can't lay flat especially if they have eggs

9. benharmer87 Member Member

I just got a peppered cory. I didn't know it is carnivorous. I just got it a couple days ago. What do I feed it. I was told regular tropical flakes and algea pellets

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You need a good catfish pellet & frozen or live food such as bloodworm, brine shrimp, daphnia etc
    If you only have 1 peppered you need to get a few more, corys are shoaling fish & need friends

11. benharmer87 Member Member

Well actually one in my 55g tank but two times bigger with big tinfoil barb. I don't know if it's safe yet for it. I got the 55g tank and fish with it the same day. I only have dried blood worms

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Dried bloodworms will be ok for now but make sure they're thoroughly soaked before feeding as they can cause bloating

13. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Agree on that !!! Variation is the keyword. I have 9 in a about 55 gallon. You (and they) will love a huge herd.

14. nhaiflich Member Member

Been giving mine hikari sinking catfish pellets and frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. They love them all. I just fed them and think it's funny.... My fry are eating the pellets and the cories are sifting the sand for flakes. Think they are a bit backward:p