Cory Behavior - Should I Be Worried?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Joy!!!, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Joy!!!

Joy!!!New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    2 years
    So I noticed my cory just drifting through the tank. I panicked and thought he was dead, then I saw he was moving slightly. He drifted to the bottom and bumped against the gravel, then spun around and swam right to the top as fast as he could. He did like ten spins at top speed and then dive into a bunch of fake plants. Is this normal? Did he fall asleep or something? Is it something wrong? Is he just being silly?

2. Discusluv

DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,789
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  3. BHK3

BHK3Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +696
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hard to say, I think we need a bit more info:

What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, water temperature)
    What kind of cory is it?
    Who are the other inhabitants of the tank?
    What size tank?
    Could you post a pic of the fish so we can give him a once over?

4. OP
    OP
    Joy!!!

Joy!!!New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    2 years
    False julii. Starts with a t...but i can't spell it.

Ammonia and nitrites at zero. Nitrates kinda high... I've been doing water changes all week to try to bring them down. I'll check again tomorrow when I change the water. 80°F. pH high but pretty consistant around 8.2.

30gal tank with other cories and a few mollies. I was planning on getting more cory cats to fill out the school (there are only three right now) but this is the second weird thing to happen in the tank recently. I had a Molly get really red gills earlier this week. No other symptoms. I tested the water then and noticed the high nitrates. I started doing extra water changes and it seems to be improving. Then today the Cory was acting weird.

I've also had a highly aggressive Molly in there until recently. She didn't seem to bother the cories, just the other mollies, but there might have been some aggression that I didn't see. I removed her a little over a week ago. The tank seems much happier without her.

The tank was set up in May of this year. Freshwater, no plants.

Not sure I can get a photo- my phone is pretty bad at pictures. Also, I really can't tell the Corydoras apart. All the same size and coloring- the chance that I'd get a pic of the same fish is about one in three, unless he does the same thing again. I'll try though.

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,758
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Tri(three)lineatus(lined)

6. OP
    OP
    Joy!!!

Joy!!!New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thanks! That helps me remember.

I'm starting to suspect is actually the temperature. Could too high of temperatures cause issues in Corydoras behavior? I had it up to 80 degrees F because of an injured fish in the tank, to help him heal. But my two thermometers are reading 82 and 84 degrees, which is quite warm for a cory cat. The websites I looked at suggest a maximum temp of 76-78, depending on the site. I'm going to go ahead and lower the temperature. Do you think this is the cause of the cory's irregular behavior?

7. Discusluv

DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,789
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would definitely lower the temp, actually, I would lower to 75-76 degrees, 77-78 degrees is on the high side of their range.

8. DoubleDutch

Ratings:
    +11,758
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hoe exactly do you help a fish heal by raising the temp?

9. OP
    OP
    Joy!!!

Joy!!!New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    2 years
    It was for the other fish in the tank- one of them had shredded fins (long story) and I read that higher temps could help his fins heal and grow faster. He's healed up enough now that I'm comfortable lower the temp to something more comfortable for the rest of the tank's inhabitants. I don't want it to be too low for the mollies - I'm thinking to around 77°F?

Is this likely the cause of the cory's irregular behavior, or should I look for a different cause?

10. DoubleDutch

Ratings:
    +11,758
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    could be

Become a Fishlore Member