Cory Babies...

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
About three or four days before my surgery my Albino Aeneus Corys laid eggs. The morning I went I noticed there were wigglers. I really didn't expect them to survive but about thirty survived being ignored. They are finally big enough to take pictures although not enough to see many details. will keep the thread up dated with pics as they grow.
First is one of the moms and dads, there are six altogether and I think they all laid eggs
then a couple of the fry.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, their still really small and hard to get a good picture.
Carol

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
wow! congratulations! what a great surprise for you...it's their welcome home gift to you, Carol

Denise

p.s. will you keep them?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably keep some of them. can always send them to live with Dino LOL
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When they were really small they ate frozen brine shrimp and tiny bites by Hikari.
Now they are two months old they are sharing a 30G rubbermaid tub with 79 baby bristlenose and share their veggies. Also they love shrimp pellets, flakes and blood worms.
Cory fry tend to grow very slowly but they are finally big enough to give some away. Gave two away last night, hated to do it but they went to a good home.
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Both 0f the parents were albino and yes they were all albino Eight went to live with Tennhound, I kept a couple and the rest went to live at Dinos fish house.
Carol

Manicivy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've heard that water changes with cooler water encourages spawning with cories, is this true? I have 2 pandas, one bronze, and 2 what i thought were green but are actually silvery looking so something else? not albinos tho) I thought for sure one of those silver ones had eggs because her belly became very swollen within a week and the other one remained small. But it has been 2 months now and no action. Any opinions as to what that means. Can different cory species interbreed? Thanks

Manicivy

Valued Member
Reaction score
well I just found another of your posts Butterfly on tips for breeding cories so nevermind all that! Still wondering if species interbreed though?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In general different species of corys are not known to interbreed.
If you want to stimulate them to spawn you can do a huge water change with water a few degrees cooler then feed them really well on blood worms, brine shrimp etc. Anything high in protein. When feeding heavily you have to do at least an extra water change to keep your water parameters good. This type of uneaten food rots fast and can cause water problems. Just remember to do water changes with water the same temp as whats in the tank. after the eggs are laid you can leave the temp as is or raise it back up to what it was.
This simulates their natural spawning triggers. In their natural habitat they spawn in the spring. The water is down then spring rains come (cooler water) and that washes copious amounts of food in the the water(they feed heavily) then they spawn and theres plenty of food for the fry. Hope that helps
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOL we both posted at the same time Am hoping to get the orange laser I got a while back to spawn wish me luck
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom