Cory And Substrate

david00061

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm using pea gravel is this going to work with cory catfish?
20180511_194500.jpg
20180511_194510.jpg
20180511_194558.jpg

Another question. How many of these guys should I add. It's a 500 gallon tank. 109 x 40 x 27

20180511_195259.jpg
20180511_195320.jpg
20180511_195327.jpg

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think corys do well in gravel.. they really need sand. BDBS from tractor supply is dirt cheap and looks nice. My corys do well with it and it's easy to clean.

However, 500g tank? Maybe easier to get different fish.

You could do at least 20 or more, they like to be in shoals. (Same type, don't mix cory types)
Is your tank cycled?

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Swimming pool filter sand is also good, and I think fairly cheap. I believe it's white(ish) if you don't want the black. If you go with the BDBS, make sure you either sift it with a screen or wash it really good half a 5 gallon bucket at a time with a hose. There is quite a bit of dust in it.

david00061

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TexasGuppy said:
I don't think corys do well in gravel.. they really need sand. BDBS from tractor supply is dirt cheap and looks nice. My corys do well with it and it's easy to clean.

However, 500g tank? Maybe easier to get different fish.

You could do at least 20 or more, they like to be in shoals. (Same type, don't mix cory types)
Is your tank cycled?
Yes its cycled.

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
500 gallons!!! holy wow!
If you want to do cories and not waste your gravel, possible you could do half sand and half gravel and do something decorative with it.

david00061

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Punkin said:
500 gallons!!! holy wow!
If you want to do cories and not waste your gravel, possible you could do half sand and half gravel and do something decorative with it.
It won't be waisted. My wife will use it in the yard

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
david00061 said:
It won't be waisted. My wife will use it in the yard
Thats cool, I used some old fish gravel in my patio flower pots.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

seth rodgers

Valued Member
Reaction score
I recently got some sand from petco for my 30 gallon (5.99) and put it half and half and the corys love it. Also putting in dwarf hairgrass with it looks very cool and the corys love to swim through it.

also i agree with getting around 20

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just replied to your other post.

Yeah, sand is considered best for Cory cats and Loaches as others have already said.

Pool sand has been said to be most costveffectcos and the grains will be of a consistent size.

If you use sand, I recommend researching how to maintain it. I read a little about it. You have to rake make it or something regularly to make sure hydrogen sulfide pockets don't form. I'm not entirely sure about it since I decided not to replace my substrate and didn't research further. I can't give you specific instructions. But I just wanted to make you aware of that

Also, I remember in your other thread, you mentioned you are considering a tetra school.

Have you figured out which one or ones you want?

If you haven't, you could consider silver tip tetras. Cory from Aquarium Coop got me sold on them as great in big schools with two of his videos,:

I love how he demonstrates the school following his hand.

Also rummy nose tetras seem cool as they are said to be a tight schooling fish.

Just some suggestions. These fish don't work in my tank as I have clown Loaches that might eat them or at least make the small fish uncomfortable. You mentioned wanting small fish so these could work. Check the temperature requirements on Seriouslyfish.com though. I haven't looked up temps for live-bearers since I don't keep them.

In any case, please keep us updated on what you end up doing.

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wouldnt recommend doing both sand and gravel. Corydoras tend to mix them together in my experience. I would just do sand.

I would start off somewhere between 15-20. Corydoras can breed like bunnies if kept in the right conditions.

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm interested in having some Corys in my tank, so you need Sand 100% to have cories or will substrate be fine?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pool filter sand fluidizes quite well, not sure about BDBS. I fluidize mine with a turkey baster (though with that huge tank you might want a hose on a small powerhead). Your other option would be MTS, but you'd still need to do most of the work yourself until the MTS colonize the tank. If you go the MTS route, be ready to go buy some assassins as well.

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Joey Fish said:
I'm interested in having some Corys in my tank, so you need Sand 100% to have cories or will substrate be fine?
From what I understand, sand is best. Rounded gravel next, followed by gravel without sharp edges.

That being said, I have regular gravel with Loaches and others have raised Cories with similar substrate

The problem is these bottom dwellers with barbels can damage them on sharp substrate. The barbels can then get infected.

Cory from Aquarium Coop mentioned in a video that with both fishes, you could possibly be fine if you kept water conditions perfect and kept the gravel clean (so you have to keep up with regular gravel vacuuming to eliminate the mulm). That will help to prevent infection. Cory also claimed that another factor is food. If you feed stuff that keeps on top if the gravel, like repashy, then they wont dig as much looking for food as they would if you had food that broke into a cloud, like shrimp pellets, that then worked it's way into the substrate.

I kept Corys years ago but I didn't know that I was doing and they died. I read some can live 10+ years so I did it wrong. My clown Loaches have lived with my gravel for 20+ years though so that's an example of how they can be fine without sand.

I did see a youtube video of how corys suck in sand and filter for food in it by blowing it out through their gills. That video made me realize how they probably are happier in sand

Duardo

Valued Member
Reaction score
for Corys I suggest sand because over time they hurt their barbels, and I know from experience. And since I heard you were looking for schooling fish I would suggest Serpae Tetras, they are so beautiful, but semi aggressive so be careful.

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just some possibly helpful info that popped into my head as I was just doing my daily look at liveaquaria:

If your LFS doesn't have a good selection of Cory cats and you want some rarer patterns, online can be a good option.

Diver's Den on liveaquaria puts up some. There were some black cories but I think someone bought them already. They just put up these imitator Cory:
https://m.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/406800/imitator-cory-catfish-pair

I talk about this place a lot as I had a bad lfs experience and decided to try them because of their 14 day guarantee. Im happy so far. Fish came healthy and I still have 6 days on the guarantee. Diver's Den quarantines their stock and treats for ich preventatively. The main site also has fish but I haven't ordered from there. What I understand is it's like ordering directly from wholesaler so you skip the extra, stressful step of them going to your LFS store first. You also get a 14 day guarantee.

There are other sites that people claim have better prices and possibly better stock of fish but I haven't used them. Most just have a live arrival guarantee. Wetspot in Oregon has good reviews and a big selection. Their prices are cheaper than liveaquaria but you pay for shipping (la is free on $100+ orders) so it almost evens out.

Duardo said:
for Corys I suggest sand because over time they hurt their barbels, and I know from experience. And since I heard you were looking for schooling fish I would suggest Serpae Tetras, they are so beautiful, but semi aggressive so be careful.
Yeah, I think the OP should definitely get sand as he said he's completely fine with changing the substrate might as well give them the best environment.

I just mentioned the other options to let the other poster know it could be done even though it's not recommended.

I went through this debate in my head. I wanted to restock my tank but then I felt bad getting more clown Loaches because I don't have sand. Also, I technically have a tank that's slightly too small for them. 6ft is supposed to be okay, but ideally it would be 6ftx24"x24" and mine is 6ftx18"x22". I researched sand and decided I didn't want to change all my gravel out. Then I thought about not getting more Loaches.

In the end, I decided I'm going to give my new Loaches a pretty good home and my old ones will be better with more friends even if I'm not doing things ideally.

I guess that's my only point: if the other person asking thinks they can do the proper steps for the Cory cats not using sand they can try it but sand if course is ideal. Less than ideal might be better than the average tank they might otherwise wind up in.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This cory is on gravel for years. It has.longer barbels than the ones on sand hahahaha. The prefer sand though. I'd add two or three huge schools of the same.species (that won't interbreed : the schultzei black and the albino will).
The trilineatus is by far to thin !
45220f48d7f370e72124c98038bcf166.jpg

500 G asks for " migrating " schools as cardinals / rummynoses / hemmigrammus species

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have always used cravel with Cory’s with no problem at all just no sharp corners.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I personally don't think that you have pea gravel, I see some sharp-edged ones.
The tank is huge! You could have an insane amount of cory in that tank, along with schools and schools of fish!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom