Cory and Invertebrates not good for eggs

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by hyun007, Mar 21, 2010.

1. hyun007Valued MemberMember

We all know they can be cute, but do please take note that by having them, it will reduced the chance of any fish egg to become a fry.
    Cory and Invertebrates do eat cavier. :'(

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Most anything will eat eggs in a tank not just those:)
    Carol

3. Treefork

TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

So I take it you lost eggs to your Cories and snails? What kind?

4. OP
    OP
    h

hyun007Valued MemberMember

I have eggs scattering fish.
    With Cory and Invertebrates(snail & shrimp), they tend to look for food at the bottom.

It you want to breed your fish naturally(where most will get eaten but a few will survive), do not have have cory and invertebrates in the tank as they further reduce the surviving rate.

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning Hyun007

As Carol mentioned, fish eggs are a treat for all fish. If you're really into breeding fish, especially egg scatterers, then the pairs should be housed in their own tanks to prevent the eggs from becoming snacks for everyone in the tank.

Best wishes!
    Ken

6. OP
    OP
    h

hyun007Valued MemberMember

Sorry, I guess I did not mentioned it clearly.

What I mean is the odd to have a few to survive from egg to adult fish naturally in a community tank.
    Not to breed them in a breeding tank.

I guess the only other possibility is to add a lot of plants as well as floating some bushy type like the foxtail, but shrimp is still best avoided.

7. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNAValued MemberMember

I keep Crystal Red Shrimp and Habrosous cories together succesfully with hatches from both running threw the tank. It is well planted and every 3 months or so I break it down and take out a dozen or so baby cories. I know I would have more if I bred them seperate but sometimes I run out of tanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice