Cory Aeneus fry

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Reyes, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Reyes

Reyes Valued Member Member

A week ago my corys laid eggs (like every year...) and this time they hatched! I was obviously not ready, as I have kept Corydoras for 10 years and it is the first time the eggs are actually fertilised.

They are a week old today, I have around 70 of them and I lost around 10 on the first week:(. I have them in a plastic container with around 2'' of water, 1 ball of moss and 1 small Anubias with an air pump but no filter. I bought a plastic hatchery, but they are still too small for it:( I am just looking at small second hand tanks right now, as I am afraid of infections. I will go to my lfs after work and buy a netting hatchery if I cannot get a tank, anyone has any other ideas?

I have been feeding them twice a day with JBL NobilFluid and yesterday I tried to crush flakes and drop them with a bit a water in the tank, but I am not sure they are eating at all... They do move when they feel the food and they don't look "empty". If I compare the photos from the first day to the photos today I can see that they are obviously growing, but I don't know if I am starving them or overfeeding.

I will post some photos as soon as I have them sorted out:) Any advice at all will be highly appreciated!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Congrats on the fry :)
    A clean ice cream tub or similar would be ok for the fry for a while, you can float it in the main tank to keep it warm.
    Crush the food really fine, almost to a powder & soak it in some tank water before feeding, I feed three times a day.
    Keep the bottom of the tub really clean & when doing water changes used water from the main tank if all parameters are good.
    When you move them to the new tank, use main tank water & gradually increase the depth of the water, if you do it too quickly they tend to struggle getting to the surface.
    Good luck with them, hope they do well for you

3. OP
    OP
    Reyes

Thanks a mill, Coradee! I have been using water from the main tank, but I just cannot keep the bottom of the container clean.

I have found a 5.5g tank and a 7.5g second hand, I don't really think it makes any difference at that size, really... But I am thinking that I still won't be able to fit a full filter on it, as they need to breath on the surface and I cannot fully fill the tank, right?
    I will ask at the shop if they have a small sponge one and I might still buy the netting hatchery.

4. Coradee

I use this kind of sponge filter in my fry tanks as it sits on the bottom & is only a couple of inches tall & there's no danger of fry getting sucked in.

To clean the bottom of the tank or tub use something food safe as a divider & herd the fry over to one side while you clean the bottom with a sponge, then herd them back the other side.

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Since I've started feeding microworms the survivalrate is great !!!
    Advantage is the worms will easily survive 24 hours in the water, so pollution by food is almost zero !!!

6. OP
    OP
    Reyes

Thank you both for the tips. I am leaving work in half an hour and will check with my shop about the filter, food, etc

7. DoubleDutch

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438275953.650929.jpg my microworm "farm"

8. OP
    OP
    Reyes

Update: I moved all the fry into the main tank with their parents in the net hatchery that I bought yesterday. I put it into the opposite side of the filters with the air pump stone nearby and they all spent the night ok. I have had no losses in two days... I hope it stays like that.
    :;thx

9. OP
    OP
    Reyes

So finally I have the photos! They are now 2 week old (although there is a couple of lads there that have to be older, no clue where they came from...) :D

Here I had them in a plastic container with an air pump stone, but it was too difficult to keep clean.

So I moved them to a mesh hatchery hanging from the main tank with the parents. There is around 70 of them and I lost around 13 on the first and second week, none since last Thursday.

And a few days ago I found this guy in the main tank, he is obviously bigger than the other fry and has been surviving with the adults somehow, but I do have a lot of plants and rocks to hide

Last week I got a second hand 28l tank and, while setting it up with a (cycled) filter and plants from my tank, I found another (!!) small baby that must have been hiding in one of the plants. Anyway, there is him and another of the bigs guys in that tank until I get a Nano filter, that Stingray moves way too much water.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  10. Coradee

Great pictures, good number of fry you have, hope they all do well :)

11. DoubleDutch

Looking good !!

12. OP
    OP
    Reyes

Here are the adults, I have 8 of them as only fish in the tank

And here is the main tank and the new 7g. Sorry for the mess in the main tank, I need to do a deep cleaning, but with the babies in there I try to disturb them the minimum necessary.

I am doing 14% water changes every two days and feeding them twice a day with liquid artemia and now with the corys normal food too.

13. OP
    OP
    Reyes

Thanks! I am actually quite surprised at the numbers, I´ve been reading a lot of threads where people get 5/6 eggs to hatch and end up having 1 or 2 survivals... Fingers crossed!!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  14. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishes Valued Member Member

Holy smokes, those are adorable babies!

15. OP
    OP
    Reyes

They are extremely cute.... I find myself spending hours looking at them... I need a life, or something:D

16. Merri68

Merri68 Valued Member Member

Ohh my! You're a fish grandma. Your pictures are so clear and lovely. Excellent close-ups.

I just picked up 4 corys for my 55 gallon. I can understand why you're such a fan of them ☺ Good luck with those babies!

17. OP
    OP
    Reyes

Update on the babies: they are all still here! I lost 5 more since the last time I wrote here, so I must have around 50 left. I set up the new 14 gallon tank last week and started moving the babies there in batches, I only finished yesterday, but they seem quite happy. Somehow, being in the mesh hatchery has slowed their growth compared to those in the main tank or in the 7 gallon. I now have 3 adult looking fry in the main tank and 4 more in the smaller tank.

I took some photos and unfortunately they are all blurred... But at least you get an idea of how they look.

In the fry tank there are a Stingray 5 and a Fluval U2 working at low power.

18. OP
    OP
    Reyes

And another update;)

The babies are 7 weeks old, I am keeping up with the pwc every two days and feeding them twice a day. I have lost a few ones in the last days, but I don't think there is anything else I can do... They start by not being able to keep themselves at the bottom of the tank trying to swim as if bloated... Anyone has any ideas?

The ones in the main tank that made it to a decent size so that they couldn't be eaten by the adults have all survived, I don't know why. I guess the main tank is more established than the other one?

As of today, I have around 7 in the main tank (which brings the total number to 15, a lot, I know) and around 40 in the 60l. I will have to start looking for homes for them:p

19. bermese2002

bermese2002 Well Known Member Member

They are so so cute! congrats!

Do corys breed easily in community tanks and the fry survive? or does it depend on the other fish in the tank? I'm planning on having at least 6 in my new tank which will be planted.

Sent from my D5503 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice