Correcting Over Feeding.

TinySwimmer

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think I’ve been over feeding my Black Moors. I only feed them once a day but when I look back, maybe I gave them TOO many pellets, TOO many blood worms, TOO much broccoli, etc etc.

I didn’t feed them yesterday and I’m planning to feed them tomorrow, peas only (one pea per fish is normally what I go by). Plus, I’m doing daily water changes this week (30%).

One of my Moors is showing signs of being over fed (looking chubby, red eye, sitting on bottom of tank sometimes).

I’m certain accidental over feeding is the issue.

Has anyone here made the same mistake?! And how was it resolved?

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's tough with goldies. A lot of owners feed 2-3 times a day and keep veggies 24/7. I feed twice a day and keep green veggies usually clipped in the tank. I do a 50-80 percent WC each week, but I'm probably going to have to add an additional wc in between because of it.

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's tough with goldies. A lot of owners feed 2-3 times a day and keep veggies 24/7. I feed twice a day and keep green veggies usually clipped in the tank. I do a 50-80 percent WC each week, but I'm probably going to have to add an additional wc in between because of it.
holy cow! 2-3 times a day! 50-80%!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Goldfish do not have a stomach so they constantly eat - veggies 24/7 is a good way to help them they are low calorie and keep digestion going well. I would do veggies 24/7 (broccoli, cucumber, peppers most green stuff - spinach, lettuce) and feed normal food one a day, no more than they eat in a one minute time (meaning one minute of food depending on the fish this may be one or two pinches at most). Goldfish are nasty creatures and 50+% is a good number to do for weekly water changes to keep up on ammonia producing monsters you now call pets lol.
Fancy goldfish are naturally chubby due to a shortened spine, obese is another category. Laying on the bottom is not related to overfeeding but indicates another issue.
How big is the tank and how much do you change the water?

TinySwimmer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Goldfish do not have a stomach so they constantly eat - veggies 24/7 is a good way to help them they are low calorie and keep digestion going well. I would do veggies 24/7 (broccoli, cucumber, peppers most green stuff - spinach, lettuce) and feed normal food one a day, no more than they eat in a one minute time (meaning one minute of food depending on the fish this may be one or two pinches at most). Goldfish are nasty creatures and 50+% is a good number to do for weekly water changes to keep up on ammonia producing monsters you now call pets lol.
Fancy goldfish are naturally chubby due to a shortened spine, obese is another category. Laying on the bottom is not related to overfeeding but indicates another issue.
How big is the tank and how much do you change the water?
Hi
The tank is 140 litres. I usually do water changes once every 2 weeks but since my moor developed this problem I’ve been doing water changes every day (30%), for the last 3 days.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That tank is small enough to warrant weekly 50% water changes rather than every two weeks. Water changes are your friend until you can figure what is wrong with your moore.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't hesitate to do a couple of 50% water changes a week on goldfish tanks. They are that messy. I have green filaments and bits floating all the time in the tank!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom