Correct treatment interval for Camallanus worms

MyAquaticMates

Hi there,

I'm currently treating all my tanks for camallanus worms because at least 2 tanks were infected (I was given some infected fish unexpectedly and didn't realise they had it cause the worms weren't showing, then I transferred floating plants between tanks, which spread it). I'm treating with levamisole. So far it seems to be going well, with the fish tolerating the treatment, except being a bit more aggressive than usual (although that might be cause I didn't feed them during a 3-day power outage so that there wasn't an ammonia spike or anything).

However, when I search online I get wildly different suggestions for when to do the repeat doses, ranging from 1 to 3 weeks. My tanks are kept at around 27 degrees celcius (around 80 F) so I'm assuming the parasite lifecycle will happen a bit faster than at lower temperatures, so I should dose sooner. I can't find any journal articles or anything that give me a clear indication of lifecycle timeframe of Camallanus cotti at these temps.

If I keep doing treatments every 2 weeks for about 4-5 rounds should that get them all?

Thanks for any help!

MacZ

If I keep doing treatments every 2 weeks for about 4-5 rounds should that get them all?

I think 2-3 rounds with 10 days inbetween including the original treatment are enough.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bcfishtanks
Replies
Views
cody2posh
Replies
Views
Madchild57
Replies