Correct Temperature for GBR's.

fishiefriend

Hi, I would just like to find out what the best temp. parameters are for blue rams. I have looked at many sites and some say they prefer a temp. of
72-77* while others say 81-84* so I am a bit

Many thanks
fishiefriend

capekate

Hello, My GBR has been in the Discus tank with warmer water around 82-83* and doing great. My reference book also says they prefer water temp* between 72-77*. Slightly higher during breeding.

~ kate

fishiefriend

Thanks Kate I just get so confused sometimes because there is so much conflicting info. on the net these dys & I get paranoid about doing the wrong thing & causing stress to my fish . I know fish acclimatise very well to various conditions but I always try to keep things as close to their natural environment as possible.

PS: My pair of GBR's were a christmas present.

Butterfly

Congrats ! That was a great Christmas present
Carol

fishiefriend

Thanks Carol it sure was, I have wanted some for a long time - I just hope they survive.

They seem quite happy at the moment & the day after I got them the female looked like she was receptive to mating with her stomach pink & her egg tube more pronounced & the male seemed to be interested, often shimmering in front of her & both were cleaning a rock, but nothing happened & I think they are still too young. I do hope they become a pair & have fry. They are in a 20 gall. with only 2 oto's.

Does the female have a breeding cycle & only a number of dys when she is more receptive?

thanks again
fishiefriend

Dino

Generally, they will cycle into breeding about once a month if conditions are good.

I have always had better luck with them when they were kept at 82-84F.

fishiefriend

Gee!! that was a quick reply Dino, thanks - her cycle must be over as her egg tube is hardly noticeable now.

Dino

If you can, feed them live/frozen food.
They should be back in cycle within the month I mentioned in the other post.

With just the 2 otos and them being ina 20, you should have no problem producing babies.

capekate

Also, remember that they really need very clean water and you should do more water changes with the GBRs than most tropicals...

~ kate

fishiefriend

Thanks Guys ! I think they have a better diet than I do actually I feed them the frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp about every 3rd/4th dy, is that enough or should I make it every 2nd dy?

I usually do 3 smaller p.w.changes a week if I have time so tank conditions don't fluctuate too much & syphon gravel once a wk. & I have 2 filters on my tanks (maybe overkill on my part ha!ha!)

I'm not sure if the PH is ideal for ram fry though! my PH is always approx. 7.4-7.6, I don't use any PH adjusters (I used to but it caused too much stress to my fish). Do you think this PH is conducive to raising the fry if any?

fishiefriend

Dino

You should do ok.
Many rams are raised in similar pH in the farms in Florida.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies
Views
Eaton
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cale24