Correct Parameters?

1. J

J355 Initiate Member

I have a 29-gallon biocube with upgraded Fluval lighting with 3 fish, inverts, and a small collection of coral. There is a large amount of algae growing and I cannot figure out the cause (there's no natural light in the room). I used the Red Sea test kit and got the following numbers:
    Temp - 88
    Salinity - 1.025
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - I think it's 10 but it's hard to read the colors on this one.
    Ammonia - 0
    PH - 8.2
    Phos - 0.00
    Cal - 440
    KH - 10.9
    Alk - 3.9
    Mag - 1440
    Do these numbers look ok for a reef tank? I just did a water change a few days ago, do I need to do another one before Wednesday? Also, would any of this be causing the algae? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

3. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Member Member

Phosphate looks good, Nitrate should be fine... Do you have a Sulphate test?
    If not, what's GH at? And are you CO2/Liquid Carbon?

4. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi :) Welcome to Fishlore. :)

Hmmm, your temp looks really high, but I'm not sure how much that would contribute to algae. Why so warm?

10ppm is a little high for nitrates, but it really depends on what you're housing as far as corals and anemones go. 10ppm might be ideal in a softie or anemone tank as those species can use nitrates. Anyhow, your nitrates may be much higher if you didn't have all that algae using it up. If I were in your shoes I would manually remove as much algae as possible at every weekly water change. Possibly more often depending on it's speed of growth. Really go to town on water change day though, scrubbing your rocks with a toothbrush and blowing in any crevices with a turkey baster.

Get some good mechanical filtration going, continue to use the turkey baster and manual removal as often as you deem necessary, even between water changes when needed. I would suggest using filter floss for your mechanical filtration because you can buy a super cheap giant bag of it in the sewing section at Walmart or the sewing stores. Make sure that it's 100% poly without any fillers or fire retardant properties. Anyhow, you'll want to use the floss and toss approach where you are discarding floss every 2-3 days for replacing with new.

You won't have to do this forever, but since you'll be cleaning and stirring things up, the floss and toss approach is a form of nutrient reduction. Every time you throw away the floss you'll be removing organics, and thus nitrates from your system.

It's also possible that you have phosphates that are being consumed by the algae, making the levels low in the water and register low on a test, but still supporting the algae.

I'm also curious about your feeding routine. Most of the time algae issues can be attributed to overfeeding and dry foods are full of excess nutrients.

Other than the algae issue, I'm a little confused about your Alk/KH. They are roughly the same thing. 3.9 would be very low, but 10.9 is about perfect depending on who you talk to. Reefers debate which is best, but it seems we're good as long as we keep Alk over 8 and under 12. :)

5. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Member Member

Alkalinty contributes to KH, but KH is a much broader group.