Correct Order For Filter Media?

Zentuckyfriedchicken

I have a Tetra whisper 60 filter. The instructions say to put their “bio bags” (cartridges) in, then the coarse sponge. That seems wrong to me. In that order the fine filter floss is being clogged by big objects and the coarse sponge stays fine. Wouldn’t you want to filter the big objects with the sponge, then fine partials with the cartridges?

Mary765

I would do roughest to thinnest, so for all filter stuff an order like:
  • Stones
  • Rough sponge
  • Fine sponge
  • Cloth/fabric
  • Bio media
So yeah, I would put the sponge then the cartridge!

Zentuckyfriedchicken

That’s going to be interesting. There are no slots for the sponges. I might have to jerry rig something. Thanks for helping.

Fashooga

I have a marineland bio 350...so the housing is similar. The water comes up from the bottom up so this is how it's goes for me:

Poly floss
sponge
and bio media

Remember, this is bottom up. The water hits the poly floss to collect fine particles and garbage, sponge there to act as another media and collects finer stuff and the clean water his the bio media before exiting out of the housing.

You can buy sponges and cut them up if they don't fit. You don't necessary have to use a sponge. It could be all bio media if you like. I also don't use carbon in the tank.

AllieSten

It needs to go in order of how the water is flowing through the filter. The whisper filters have a slot for the biobag with a big open area behind them. The water flows from back to front. So in the open area behind the biobag, you will add the sponge. It doesn’t have to have any open areas for just water. The water will flow through the sponge, then into the biobag and then out into the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
fallfever
Replies
Views
Nourhanateout22
Replies
Views
Dexter84
Replies