• other

Votes: 16 12.4%

• Total voters

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Where in the aquarium should the heater be? I have a 20 gallon long w/ heater in back horizontally in middle. Another on side under 2nd filter. Where and how do you keep yours?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anywhere where there is water flow is a good place for a heater, as this will move the water away from the heater to prevent 'hot-spots'.

There's no real "correct" place to put them. As for orientation, as long as the heater can be placed horizontally (some direct you not to), the it doesn't matter which way you mount it.

While I was setting up my tank, I had two (glass) thermometers. one at each end of my tank, just to double check I was getting a consistent temperature through out the tank.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep mine horizontal also usually about an inch or so above the sand.

Brian

Crazyboutfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mines vertical on the side away from the convicts so they won't randomly decided to attack it...

tyspot1000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In the 30 gallon, I keep It vertically in the back on the opposite side of the thermometer.
The 20 gallon it kind in between the middle of vertical and horizontal in the back of my tank.
The 6.6 Its vertical, and once again opposite side of temp gauge.

Tyler

Snore

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i have mine in a 10 gallon on opposite side as filter on side wall horizontally...however think im gonna put it near my filter now and move the therm to the other side

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have a bubbler, it's good to put it under the heater to help circulate the heated water. I put my heater horizontally and low enough so that I don't have to turn it off for water changes.

Crazyboutfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
callichma said:
If you have a bubbler, it's good to put it under the heater to help circulate the heated water. I put my heater horizontally and low enough so that I don't have to turn it off for water changes.
That's a good idea! I once forgot to plug it back in after a water change...

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

In my 265g, all 3 heaters are vertical due to the fact that the cords are not long enough for me to have them horizontally. They are about 2 inches away from the bottom of the tank. Right, middle, and left hand side of the tank. (submersible heaters)

The heaters in my other tanks are placed horizontally about 2 inches from the bottom, in the center of the tanks.

I keep my thermometer in my filters. With a constant circulation in the filters, this gives me a more accurate temperature reading. I also like to use at least 2 thermometers per tank.

Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
horizontal and as low as possible.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yesterday I realized that I have an adjustable heater. Nice! I keep it in back horizontally, aprox 2" from substrate. But today I realized there is a water line. Oh no! This has been submersed for over 2 months! Can I leave it alone? I'm afraid of breaking it by now exposing to air. I also found out the 2nd heater is broken when using for QT.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mine are generally on an angle right below my filter intake. This is especially effective in my 55gal with the canister filter. I have my thermometer on the bottom right side of the tank, on the complete opposite side as the heater (which is a 200W)...and my thermometer reads 81F all the time.

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
psalm18.2 said:
Yesterday I realized that I have an adjustable heater. Nice! I keep it in back horizontally, aprox 2" from substrate. But today I realized there is a water line. Oh no! This has been submersed for over 2 months! Can I leave it alone? I'm afraid of breaking it by now exposing to air. I also found out the 2nd heater is broken when using for QT.
I think the waterline is the lowest the water can be, not the highest. Hope that's right.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
callichma said:
I think the waterline is the lowest the water can be, not the highest. Hope that's right.
Correct. Most submersible heaters need to be in a certain amount of water to function properly. The water level is the minimum depth of water.

And not trying to go to far off topic - ironically, the very water that the heater is heating, is also used to keep the heater cool

Otherwise, the heater would heat the glass (of the heater) too much, dry it out, and crack it

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a corner tank, running two filters on the back I keep the heater mid level horizontally between the two filters.

Amethyst

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a heater on the back wall of each tank, with a thermometer on the front wall, opposite end. In two of my tanks the heater is right beside and/or under the filter outflow, but not by design. Makes sense though. I think I'll move the heater in the newest tank to the other side, by the filter, too.

jglove276

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a Rena smart heater that is vertical, It works like a in-line heater because it is the intake for the filter. It heats both the tank normally and the intake water. I also keep the thermometer near the spray bar.

shellbell4ever

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I like to keep mine at the back of the tank over a airstone/bubbler of some sort so it gets dispersed somewhat

lugia10159

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
psalm18.2 said:
I think it should have a MAX Water Line and a MIN Water Line, (mine does anyway) hope this helps.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lugia10159 said:
I think it should have a MAX Water Line and a MIN Water Line, (mine does anyway) hope this helps.
Submersible heaters only have a minimum water line......there is no max because they can be completely submerged.

Non submersible heaters have both max and min water lines.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom