20 Gallon Tank Correct Light Bulbs

rOcKoN

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I've read through this guide: General Guide to Low-Light Planted Tanks

Really really helped me out but I've got one question, I am running a Resun DM-800 (80 liter or 21 Gallons) which has 2 bulb slots.
20190804_141834.jpg

20190804_141322.jpg

As per the above guide for planted tanks around 1.7wpg is ok for planted tanks.
I have 2x of Philips Genie 18W CDL 6500K bulbs which if I am correct it translates to 1.71wpg. Sounds good to me but I've heard that there are specific UV light bulbs for this kind of appliances although I am not sure this is correct.

I am concerned that I am not providing the right kind of lighting for my planted tank.
Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I've got some micranthemum umbrosum on the rear left of the tank that i hope will turn into a carpet but I am very new to this.

So if anyone could recommend anything more that would be awesome. (substrate, fertilizers?)

Last edited by a moderator:

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello everyone,

So I've read through this guide: General Guide to Low-Light Planted Tanks

Really really helped me out but I've got one question, I am running a Resun DM-800 (80 liter or 21 Gallons) which has 2 bulb slots.
View attachment 577922
View attachment 577921
As per the above guide for planted tanks around 1.7wpg is ok for planted tanks.
I have 2x of Philips Genie 18W CDL 6500K bulbs which if I am correct it translates to 1.71wpg. Sounds good to me but I've heard that there are specific UV light bulbs for this kind of appliances although I am not sure this is correct.

I am concerned that I am not providing the right kind of lighting for my planted tank.
Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I've got some micranthemum umbrosum on the rear left of the tank that i hope will turn into a carpet but I am very new to this.

So if anyone could recommend anything more that would be awesome. (substrate, fertilizers?)
I havent kept micranthemum umbrosum but i did a quick check and it seems like it likes quite a bit of light to grow well. Going by watts per gallon is outdated now, most people will use par ratings to measure low, medium or high light.

Me personally i would upgrade my lights last as they are your limiting factor in a planted tank. Id first get an aquasoil substrate then pressurized co2 if you want a planted tank before upgrading your lights.

OP
rOcKoN

rOcKoN

Reaction score
I havent kept micranthemum umbrosum but i did a quick check and it seems like it likes quite a bit of light to grow well. Going by watts per gallon is outdated now, most people will use par ratings to measure low, medium or high light.

Me personally i would upgrade my lights last as they are your limiting factor in a planted tank. Id first get an aquasoil substrate then pressurized co2 if you want a planted tank before upgrading your lights.
Do I really need co2 and new substrate? I've read that some plants dont need co2 and that gravel works just fine.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on the plants you get and what kind of tank you want.

If you only want a few low light plants your fine with gravel and no co2 if you want a planted tank with heaps of lush plants your better off getting pressurized co2 and swapping out the gravel for aquasoil.

OP
rOcKoN

rOcKoN

Reaction score
Depends on the plants you get and what kind of tank you want.

If you only want a few low light plants your fine with gravel and no co2 if you want a planted tank with heaps of lush plants your better off getting pressurized co2 and swapping out the gravel for aquasoil.
Started my research on co2.

I found these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZJchao-DIY-Aquarium-Plant-System/dp/B073GLLDSW/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=co2+diy&qid=1565254568&s=gateway&sr=8-5&th=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UEETEK-Aquarium-Diffuser-Dioxide-Reactor/dp/B0792PZRHT/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=co2+diy&qid=1565264544&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Do I need a bubble counter and water co2 checker?

Looking into ordering the kit soon so please advice on what's needed for a citric acid system using baking soda.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom