Correct/comfortable Tank Size?

bio-tech1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hey y'all. So i have a fancy twin tail gold fish. Had it for a few months. When i got him it was very small so i put it in a tub i already had that was cycled because i had perviously used it as a breeder tank. It is a plastic storage tote. It is very short and long, made to hold shoes. Around 17-20 gallons, not completely sure. Anyway, i am thinking that maybe i should move him as he is always hiding which i think may be a sign he is unhappy. Do goldfish prefer more of a box shape, like equal length, width, and depth? Or do they prefer a long tank? I just want whats best for my goldfish.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would keep a fancy goldfish in a 29 gallon personally, I think a 20 is too small.
They don't usually prefer the shape of the tank, but 29 gallons are higher, they have good dimension.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldfish do better with a tank that is longer than tall. A 40 gallon breeder would be a great size for a couple of fancy goldfish.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that the length is more important. Goldfish like to explore the entire tank. I just bought. A 20G long for my baby goldfish . They enjoy the horizontal room more than depth although they swim at all levels. A 40 G would keep them happy for life. Get him another fancy to play with too if you can.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Having decor in the tank or tub would be helpful too - it can make him feel less stressed. I would also move him to a larger tank so you can get him a friend - goldies do well with a goldie tankmate.

bio-tech1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
Having decor in the tank or tub would be helpful too - it can make him feel less stressed. I would also move him to a larger tank so you can get him a friend - goldies do well with a goldie tankmate.
ok what makes for good decor with a goldie? I currently have a half coconut hide that is made for hermit crabs in as well as some big fake plants with big fake leaves that cover the back of the tub.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom