Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Corner Matten Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Monee, May 19, 2019.

1. Monee Valued Member Member

I am putting a corner matten filter from swisstropicals in my 75 gallon tank. I would like feedback on this filter. Do you like them? Why?

2. Islandvic Well Known Member Member

I have yet to buy from Swiss Tropicals, but I will eventually.

Top notch stuff.

I can add one tip though for a corner mattenfilter....

I saw a YouTube video where they made a cut line in the foam sponge about an inch above the height of the substrate.

That way, the bottom portion stays in place, as the top portion is pulled out of the tank for cleaning.

The substrate statyed in place and didnt fall into the corner where the mattenfilter goes.

It appeared to make servicing the mattenfilter a lot easier.

If I get around to making one, I was going to set it up like that.

What ppi and thickness are you getting?

Are you going to run it off a pump, or a Jetlifter?

3. Monee Valued Member Member

I M running it of the jet lifter. So far I like it. B
    They recommended the 20ppi so that’s what I orderd

4. jjohnwm Well Known Member Member

I love them! Simplest, most foolproof filters on the market.

@Islandvic, I agree that modification might be useful, but the filter is removed so infrequently that it's not a big deal one way or the other. I vacuum the outside surface of my Mattens whenever I do a water change; actual removals of the sheet of foam for cleaning can quite literally be years apart.

Having said that, the next time I do take them out I will probably do the mod.

5. Magicpenny75 Well Known Member Member

I have a mattenfilter on my 75, but not the corner one. I run it with a QuietOne 1200 pump with a piece of pvc pipe poking through the foam wall. We put a 45 elbow on it and pointed it towards the surface and I really like it. Dr. Tanner sent me a little foam scrap that lays on the bottom behind the filter wall to support it and keep the substrate from pushing it in. It wasn't really an issue for me though since I have just black pebbles instead of gravel or sand.
    I like it because it is so quiet (since I don't run an air pump) and requires practically no maintenance. My bristlenose pleco and my juvenile angelfish are also enjoying browsing off the surface of the foam.

6. jjohnwm Well Known Member Member

I think I have seen a pic of your set-up somewhere on Fishlore; nicely done!

I don't think you'd like my corner sponges and sponge walls as much. I recently replaced a battery of small air pumps with one large central one...but now the bubbling in that room sounds like I'm boiling a giant vat of water. I once thought a gentle bubbling filter was relaxing; now I'm not so sure...:)

7. Magicpenny75 Well Known Member Member

I've only posted it about 340523875 times. And yes, your fish room would probably make my eye twitch!!

8. Monee Valued Member Member

Well all of this sounds encouraging. If it goes well on my 75g I’ll get one for my 45g.

9. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

I run two 3" Poret blocks from Swiss tropical as mattenfilter in my FW sump. Some YouTubers use another plastic based material (cheaper?) as a filter media in a similar configuration, but I like the Poret foam. I occasionally vacuum the mulm from the sump bare bottom everyone in a while , and didn't "squeeze out" the foam blocks for about 2 or 2.5 years after setting it up. Even so, probably didn't need to. I have a fully stocked community tank of tetras, guppies, cories and gourami.good stuff. I do wonder if having all that organic matter in the sump is good for sensitive fish like GBr or discus. Discus Hans uses mattenfilters in his shop so the answer probably is yes it's perfectly fine. But still , when everyone else is freaking out about cleaning their filters and you only need to do it every couple of years, it feels wierd, if you know what I mean

10. Monee Valued Member Member

I got it up. And running this past Sunday. My tank is so clean. It looks really nice too.

11. Monee Valued Member Member

Update on filter: my tank has little particles floating in the water. Filter is not cleaning the water as well as I would like. Could it be the pump I am using to run the filter? I have a tetra whisper 100.

12. Cichlidude Well Known Member Member

Most likely you are going to need fine filter floss used with a pump to filter out that small stuff.

Build a DIY Water Polisher here. I built this and it works great in large tanks:

13. Monee Valued Member Member

I thought the whole point of using the matten filter was that you didn’t need anything else.

14. Cichlidude Well Known Member Member

The above is just to polish the water for a few hours to get it clear then remove the polisher.

15. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

The best filter is a dirty filter, is an old fish keeper's saying. And it's true. The mattenfilter needs a few weeks or months to seed. Even a brand new Aquaclear wont polish your water. Once you have mulm and biofilm in the mattenfilter itself you will notice better mechanical filtration. I would use a separate filter as mentioned above in the meantime. My mattenfilter is now three years old. My water is Crystal clear within an hour or so after a water change these days.

16. Monee Valued Member Member

Oh. I see. Still learning. Thank you guys.

If I get a power head to make the filter mentioned above which one do you guys recommend?

17. Cichlidude Well Known Member Member

This is the exact one he used in the video and the one I bought. Fits a water bottle perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Jet-727085-1200-Water-Pump/dp/B000255NB4

Takes about 3 mins to make. Cut the bottom of the bottle off, stuff it with fine floss. You are done.

18. Homeslice Well Known Member Member

Nice, I have a 75 gallon tank and my SwissTropicals poret sponge and jetlifter arrived the other day - just waiting for the stand to show up so I can assemble the tank. Should be fun!!!

19. Monee Valued Member Member

It is a nice filter

20. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

You can get Aquaclear Powerhead plus Quick Filter attachment and run that instead. (Non DIY version). Will set you back about $45 .