Corncerned for my female gourami

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all

I got a pair of gouramis on Sunday, they settled in well and ate when I feed everybody else on Monday, she had also been picking at plants and the driftwood, but she didn't eat today.

He is swimming round happy as Larry but she has been sat on the bottom for about two hours, IMHO she doesn't seem to be in any distress but I'm a bit worried.

I checked my levels today and edited my details so that seems to be fine.

Your advice would be gratefully recieved.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you sure you have a female and not two males? Over here, females are far and few between.

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
'she' is about 2/3rds the size of him and is silver, it's only from what I've read on here that I beleive 'she' is a 'she'

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks jaysee, I'm new to this fish keeping game so would bow to your greater knowledge, she still hasn't moved and thinking about it more I haven't seen her swimming round all day. She could have been on the bottom all day just I didn't notice until she moved infront of the driftwood.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IME, DGs can take up to a week to settle in.

They are in the 50 gallon?

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the responses jaysee that's gonna help me sleep tonight.

They are in a 50gal

I'll just keep an eye on her for the next few days.

Thanks

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I don't think you should be worrying yet. Sometimes when a small fish gets put in a big tank, it can be a little overwhelmed and it will hang tight for a while as it observes the tank.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
How is she? I'm a little concerned due to your tank start date was 3/31/10, is your tank fully cycled? The reason I am asking is that Gourmais are sensitive to water quality and get bacterial infections quite easily if there is any trace of ammonia or nitrIte. They also need clean water. Usually they will hide and not eat if there is something wrong. But since she is new, then she could just be still seattling in her new home.

I have been successful in keeping a Flame Dwarf Gourmai for awhile now. I hope things turn out OK.

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Christine , sorry for not getting back earlier been a little busy.

Thanks for you concern, the tank has been 0 amonia 0 nitrite and <20 nitrate for about 3 weeks now with regular water changes.

She has come out of her shell a little she is more active if still a bit shy, unlike her potential mate he charges round the tank as if he owns it. Yesterday I think he made a bubble nest and my partner saw him 'dancing' in front of her. Not that I know but would that suggest he is happy?

Thanks again
Paul

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom