Corn Snake Exhibit Build

JLeeM
Hello.

For starters, let's get the story going. My girlfriend has had a snake before, and I have not. Well, she told me about it, and one of our friends has snakes. So when we went over one night, I held a snake for the first time,.....but it was a ball python. After that I wanted a snake SO BAD. My girlfriend however, said nothing over corn snake size.

Recently (two days ago), I went ahead and bought a starter kit for a corn snake exhibit. This is because I learned PetSmart does price matches. What I got and the savings can be seen here.

IMG_20180406_125626649_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180406_125809805_HDR~2.jpg
Needless to say, I was pretty excited. So just to get things rolling, I've got all the starter kit stuff set up tonight. I know I need a lot more. There is NO SNAKE in here yet. So, to get things rolling, it looks like this so far.

IMG_20180408_211754151_HDR.jpg

yukondog
Corn snakes like to climb, you need something for it to climb on and to stretch out on and soak up some heat, and more hiding spots.

JLeeM
Corn snakes like to climb, you need something for it to climb on and to stretch out on and soak up some heat, and more hiding spots.
Like I said, I know I need a lot more. Planning on getting two thermometers (complete with hydrometers, one for each side), another hide for the other side, and either some reptile felt or carpet or some newspaper to put over the UTH on the hot side to protect against burns. This is the bare minimum before I get a snake. Would also like at least one climbable decoration. Thank you for your advice though. I know I can't wait!

trash.binh91
JLeeM, what is your setup, you have a heat pad, right, and is it near a source of light?

JLeeM
Oh, and a lower watt bulb for the lamp.

JLeeM, what is your setup, you have a heat pad, right, and is it near a source of light?
Yes, there's a heat pad and a light. Just need a lower watt bulb for the light and something to put over the glass on the hot side to protect against burns.

trash.binh91
JLeeM, what morph is it? You should buy one from BHB Reptiles, but then again, baby corn snakes are available in summer. If you think about it, reptile hatching season is during the summer/ early fall so there is a wider selection then.

I meant natural light

JLeeM
JLeeM, what morph is it? You should buy one from BHB Reptiles, but then again, baby corn snakes are available in summer. If you think about it, reptile hatching season is during the summer/ early fall so there is a wider selection then.
I don't have a snake yet. Not planning on spending a fortune though.
I meant natural light
No. There is no natural light strong or close enough to reach the tank. My apartment is naturally dark, and this also helps ensure the tank doesn't overheart.

trash.binh91
I don't have a snake yet. Not planning on spending a fortune though.
I have a few suggestions, if you like the more splotchy, than here: Caramel Sunkissed, Hypo

Did not mean to post that much......, key malfunction

JLeeM
I have a few suggestions, if you like the more splotchy, than here: Caramel Sunkissed, Hypo
Definitely like the first one better, but that's over $120. Like I said, not looking to spend a fortune. So automatically, probably no online ordering and shipping.

trash.binh91
If you want good quality animals JLeeMbut don't want to spend a fortune, go look at a local reptile store or a Pet Expo.

ChaosCorrupter
A cool décor thing could be in you found a piece of cork bark that you could stand up against a corner and fill it with aspen. So it has kinda this two layer thing. OH and you could incorporate a second hide into it, like maybe on top or under the cork bark?

JLeeM
If you want good quality animals JLeeMbut don't want to spend a fortune, go look at a local reptile store or a Pet Expo.
I wish I had a local reptile store, and what is Pet Expo?

A cool décor thing could be in you found a piece of cork bark that you could stand up against a corner and fill it with aspen. So it has kinda this two layer thing. OH and you could incorporate a second hide into it, like maybe on top or under the cork bark?
I actually saw that in a video, but wasn't sure about trying it.

trash.binh91
I wish I had a local reptile store, and what is Pet Expo?
A Pet Expo is basically an event that is hosted where vendors that have to do with animals, such as companies and breeders, come to show off things or sell, many reptile breeders go to pet expos and sell. For more info, look it up. There is one in Nashville April 21-22.

JLeeM
A Pet Expo is basically an event that is hosted where vendors that have to do with animals, such as companies and breeders, come to show off things or sell, many reptile breeders go to pet expos and sell. For more info, look it up.
Oh! Okay. So like a convention. Gotcha. Yeah, I've wanted to go to Repticon before, but it's never worked out. I might see if one of those is nearby soon.

trash.binh91
are you near Nashville

JLeeM
I guess. Close enough to go, but would have to plan ahead and make a day of it. Probably about an hour and a half to two hours away.

trash.binh91
I guess. Close enough to go, but would have to plan ahead and make a day of it. Probably about an hour and a half to two hours away.
so I think you could get a good snake this month

yukondog
Why not catch your own?

JLeeM
JLeeM
Improvements were made today. The exhibit now looks like so.

IMG_20180410_150123928_HDR.jpg

I'm a lot happier with it I think. I do have a few questions for the other scaley lovers out there, but first there is still NO SNAKE IN THIS TANK YET. Trying to make sure I have everything right first.

So questions
1. With only the UTH running, the hot side temp gets up to 90-92F. I'm needing much lower than that. I also got a much lower watt daybulb today (40 instead of 100). My plan is to use this to promote activity with the light. During the day I would be running the lamp and the UTH to hopefully maintain about 85F. When the lamp goes off, it would provide the beneficial temp drop like in the wild. So, how to I manage this? (Be forewarned, this may be related to #2.)

2. I've read several places, and been told by a few that when using light weight substrates (like aspen) with a UTH, you need to cover the glass over the mat to prevent burns. I actually got some eco carpet today for this purpose. After buying it, I also remembered someone telling me that I could use newspaper too. However, how do I put a square of either over the mat, and make it to where a corn snake can't crawl under it and severely burn itself? Also, how much of each should I put to drop the temp some?

3. My hydrometer is saying there's 50-52% humidity in the tank with no water in it. My research has shown I need 40-50% for a corn snake. So what do I do? I don't want too much humidity to where bad bacteria builds up.

trash.binh91
Nice, when are you getting the snake, maybe at the reptile expo in Nashville this weekend?

JLeeM
Nice, when are you getting the snake, maybe at the reptile expo in Nashville this weekend?
No. I've got to work all weekend. Wish I could go.

ChaosCorrupter
Bumping in the daytime hoping for some replies.
I would assume just place the mat over the glass, maybe use some sort of removable adhesive, but getting a thermostat might be easier. Zoo Med and Exo Terra have thermostats for fairly cheap compared to some other models out there. I think Zoo Med just came out with a digital one too.

JLeeM
I would assume just place the mat over the glass, maybe use some sort of removable adhesive, but getting a thermostat might be easier. Zoo Med and Exo Terra have thermostats for fairly cheap compared to some other models out there. I think Zoo Med just came out with a digital one too.
Yeah I saw one on Amazon for like $33. I might eventually get one of those.

JLeeM
So we finally got our new little friend today. We were planning on looking for a black anery morph, but this one found us and we both feel in love. First two pictures are in store. Third is at home. Appears to be about 13 inches long, and they gave us two pinkies with it.

IMG_20180507_135322987_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180507_140140154_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180507_212418676_HDR.jpg

trash.binh91
Cute! What morph? Congrats!

JLeeM
Cute! What morph? Congrats!
Not even going to lie, I have no idea. We just wanted a pet anyway.

goldface
Be careful. The herp hobby can be just as addictive as the aquarium one. It’s probably the reason I haven’t got back into it yet, after many years out of the hobby (although I could easily do so). I’m just not ready yet!

JLeeM
Be careful. The herp hobby can be just as addictive as the aquarium one. It’s probably the reason I haven’t got back into it yet, after many years out of the hobby (although I could easily do so). I’m just not ready yet!
I can definitely see why it's dangerous. I'm not ready for a python yet since this is my first reptile. However, my girlfriend really wants a chameleon, which is super advanced stuff. I myself have even been looking at the little baby bearded dragons in the stores, and I've never found them the slightest bit interesting. Lol. I'm pretty sure I can refrain though. Unless I stumble upon that black anery corn snake. Just kidding.....I think.

trash.binh91
Not even going to lie, I have no idea. We just wanted a pet anyway.
That’s the spirit, it’s not the looks that matter, it’s the animal.

Fanatic

Yes, true! I am not a herper, but I do keep hermit crabs. That does mean I shop in reptile sections a lot, but I think my fish still need more supplies than my crabs do.

It used to be that I had to buy more crab items than fish, but once I got two more tanks, it turned around.

JLeeM
We just fed the little one for the first time. Didn't take it long at all to grab the pinkie. Easily one of the craziest, yet coolest things I've ever seen. Lol. The pinkie's head was bigger than the snake's head, and it went down fast. It's definitely got a pudge spot now, which I think is funny. Here's some pictures. It's not hard to see.

IMG_20180509_183644950_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180509_183814829_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180509_183924535_HDR.jpg

Oh, and just because, here's one of my favorite pictures so far. Took it last night right before lights off.

IMG_20180508_235205466_HDR.jpg

JLeeM
Hello everybody.

So we've been trying to think of a name for the little one. We know someone who has "friends" that breed snakes offer their services to sex the snake for us. However, it sounds like someone that doesn't know what they're doing could seriously hurt or kill the snake. Based off of some of the other "advice" from these people, leads us to think they most certainly should not be anywhere near our snake with a probe.

However, based off of some other, albeit less reliable, methods we think we may have a little female. Additionally, as we don't plan to breed our snake, but just have as a pet, does it really matter?

Anyway, we are thinking pretty seriously about naming her......(drum roll for the HARRY POTTER FANS!!!!) Nagini. What do you guys think?

yukondog
You don't need a mate for it, but right now after feeding it needs to stay warm and not handled. Good luck and cute little guy.

JLeeM
You don't need a mate for it, but right now after feeding it needs to stay warm and not handled. Good luck and cute little guy.
We're not planning on a mate. We're not breeding it. Just keeping it as a pet. She definitely did stick closer to heat sources for a couple days after feeding though, and we didn't handle her for 48 hours.

Dawn Michele
Beautiful snake!!!

wodesorel
Love the name!! She is gorgeous.

If gender doesn't matter then there is absolutely no need to find it out. I have a tiny milksnake that we decided to call male, my others I got older and already sexed. Once they reach 2 or 3 feet someone who knows what they are doing can do it very safely, if only to satisfy curiousity.

JLeeM
Love the name!! She is gorgeous.

If gender doesn't matter then there is absolutely no need to find it out. I have a tiny milksnake that we decided to call male, my others I got older and already sexed. Once they reach 2 or 3 feet someone who knows what they are doing can do it very safely, if only to satisfy curiousity.
The hard part would be finding that someone who knows what they're doing.

trash.binh91
The hard part would be finding that someone who knows what they're doing.
You could learn how to avert the hemipeen from one of Brian Barczyk's vlogs

FlipFlopFishFlake
You could learn how to avert the hemipeen from one of Brian Barczyk's vlogs
I wouldn't recommend sexing a snake from a YouTube video, it is a very delicate procedure and should be only done by a professional
Hello everybody.

So we've been trying to think of a name for the little one. We know someone who has "friends" that breed snakes offer their services to sex the snake for us. However, it sounds like someone that doesn't know what they're doing could seriously hurt or kill the snake. Based off of some of the other "advice" from these people, leads us to think they most certainly should not be anywhere near our snake with a probe.

However, based off of some other, albeit less reliable, methods we think we may have a little female. Additionally, as we don't plan to breed our snake, but just have as a pet, does it really matter?

Anyway, we are thinking pretty seriously about naming her......(drum roll for the HARRY POTTER FANS!!!!) Nagini. What do you guys think?
Haha love the name! I wouldn't probe it unless you plan to breed the snake, but it is ultimately up to you. Once the snake gets larger, you can make a guess based on size as females generally are larger than the males.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gamer
Replies
Views
Bry
  • Question
  • Aquariumlover1357
  • Reptile
Replies
Views