Corn snake care?

FathomtheFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am considering getting a corn snake. Is this all I would need? How would I set up the habitat?
-heat pad
-aquarium (20 gallon long?)
-frozen mice (shudder)
-what bedding?
-stuff to climb on
-thermostat

Sorry that was a very blunt question.

I was reading that a 10 gallon would be suitable for the first 2-3 years of a cornsnakes life. Is that true?

EmbersToAshes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love corn snakes. It was the first type of snake I ever had. A 10 gal will be suitable until it is almost 2 ft or so, but they do grow quickly. They are very active and will use more space if you give it to them, especially if you give them branches or something else to climb on. I wouldn't house an adult in anything smaller than a 20 long, and bigger would be better. Many people keep them in plastic tubs because they are cheaper, although not as visually appealing. It doesn't really matter as long as the lid fits tight and there is proper ventilation.

I would use a heat light instead of a heat pad to prevent burns. It is also easier to create a warm and cool side so the snake can regulate it's body temperature. Give them a large water bowl they can submerge their body in and keep the water clean. I like to use Aspen bedding to give them something to borrow in, but it can cause problems if it gets in the eyes or mouth and can also carry mites. Many people just use paper towels. Never use ceder or pine bedding, sand, or gravel as substrate. They will feel more secure if you give them at least one hiding place.

They are much easier to feed frozen compared to many other snakes, although each snake is different. If you want to feed frozen, I would suggest purchasing a snake that is already used to eating frozen instead of trying to switch a snake that is used to feeding live. The mice must be thawed out before they can be fed to the snake, usually by soaking them in water. You will want to add a pair of long feeding tongs to the list.

FathomtheFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you so much! Would paper shredding a be an appropriate bedding? If so I have a lifetime supply lol. How would I clean the enclosure and how often?

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds gross but when you thaw the mice out, feel the head to make sure it's warm. Mice that are even a tiny bit frozen can hurt a snake. You will get use to it lol.

I wouldn't use a heat light because it can dry the enclosure out and cause shedding problems. But that's just me.

I used aspen for years then went to a bedding I think called woodforest bedding...I think. I'm not looking at it right now. Either way I have never had a problem with my snakes on those types of bedding. Yes you can use shredded paper for bedding also.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads