corkscrew val

1. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

This plant is new to me, I just got some last week is it normal for this plant to melt like a crypt?

2. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm actually commenting on one of your threads now! :) I'm of course by no means an expert, but I bought a corkscrew val a couple weeks ago, and the original leaves started turning brown. I trimmed/plucked them before they could melt (not sure if "melt" actually means turning gooey), but I asked someone and they said that is normal. Many new leaves have since come up, and they're all healthy and growing.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

It is normal for a lot of plants to kinda throw a temper tantrum when planted in a new tank, remove the dead or dying growth and give it a root tab, Vals and Swords are both HEAVY root feeders and will appreciate it, they show the appreciation by really taking off in the growth category.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Good advice your getting :)

Many plants, actually most of them are raised emersed in aquaculture businesses then when we plant them submerged they lose their leaves and grow new ones. Sometimes the leaves will even look different.

Vals are also bad to melt and stay melted if you use Flourish Excel. I love FE but don't have a clue why it melts vals.
    Carol

5. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

my vals sometimes melt. not the whole thing....just a couple leaves. it should be ok. root tabs do help a lot though...as you probably know

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I doubt these where emersed, I bought them from Harpua.

There where 5 small plants, I split them up between 3 tanks
    2 went in one of my 5gals, it has LED lights and gets some indirect sunlight, has sand substrate, all I did was add root tabs
    2 more went in my 10gal, it has 2 10watt CFLs, fine gravel and I added root tabs and the tank is dosed with flourish comprehensive, pottasium and nitrogen
    The last one when in my 75 gal, it has 108watts of T5HO , regular gravel, it has root tabs, and I am currenttly dosing a varity of ferts trying to figure out what is off. I do not use excel, but I am using API co2 Booster in this tank...

All of them melted after a few days, hopefully they all recover.

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Was just throwing that out there as a possibility :) I don't know who she buys plants from.

Don't know anything about API co2 booster but it sounds like it does the same thing Excel does.

Let us know how they are doing .
    carol

8. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

her plants are quite great quality, you will get a little melt out of the gate but they will come back strong, dont worry. Just take it easy on them and they will come back.

9. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

That's pretty much what I wanted to know, I have ordered a lot of stuff from harpua in the past year, and have never had a problem, I just wanted to make sure I didn't manage to kill the plants in just a few days.

Butterfly, the API stuff is supposed to do the same thing as excel, but how simaler the formulas are, I have no clue, if that plant does well, I will be sure to let everyone know, incase there are some excel users who really want vals.

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks Lexi :) I have heard nothing but good thing about harpuas plants and fish.
    carol