Corkscrew val in ~1WPG?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by bassbonediva, Mar 25, 2010.

1. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

Hi all. I'm setting up my son's paludarium today and was trying to figure out what plant(s) to get for the tank. This will be kind of a temporary set up for just while he's here this weekend because I'll be redoing the background and the filter system in a few weeks. Anyway, for right now, I have a sword plant and maybe some water wisteria I'm going to put in the tank. The sword is rather low and bushy, not tall like the other sword in my 55gal (if I let the water level drop in the 55gal, the top leaves of the sword stick out of the water!). Right now, there's going to be a 30W fixture on the tank, but the water level will be dropped about 4" due to the fact that it's a paludarium, so it'll have newts and they'll need a place to climb out of the water. As soon as I can upgrade the light on my 55gal, there'll be a 60W fixture on the 29gal.

Anyway, I was thinking about the plants available locally (not a HUGE selection around here, unfortunately) and I thought corkscrew val might look good in the tank. Would it do okay in about 1WPG? Eventually when I get the higher wattage light on this tank, there'll be cabomba, foxtail, some hygros, the sword and some microsword in the tank. Thanks!

2. HOWsMom

HOWsMomWell Known MemberMember

I've got some corkscrew val in my 6g with an 8w bulb (so 1.33w/g) and it's literally melting away before my eyes.

I don't know if it's lack of light (my light is more in the front, with the corkscrew val in the back), or something else - but it is NOT doing well.

3. treve

treveValued MemberMember

Vals should be fine with low light,they will melt after the first few days but after a few weeks they should come on strong.

4. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Oh, forgot to mention that there'll be hornwort floating in the tank too (it's literally taking over my 55gal, so I need to separate some out). So, that'll cut down on the light a little.

Okay, so the corkscrew val might not be a good idea. I hate that we don't have very good selections around here. What makes it worse is that the lower light the plants are, the more expensive they are. Grr!

Anyone ever heard of "mermaid weed"? Would it be any good in there (one of the LFS has it)?

5. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Hmm, I've never heard of it but when I searched, it seems like this is a plant that needs more light than what you have. I'll have some low light plants available shortly if you don't mind a little wait. :)

6. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I doubt you could grow Corkscrew Val with 1wpg or any other Val for more than a few months. Vals will trick you into thinking they are going all right & then they will start rotting away on you & then they are dead. From what I know of Mermaid Weed it will grow under most lighting but really needs mid to high intensity for it to do really well.

7. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Thanks, harpua. I have another friend who's going to send me 2.5 gallons worth of plants as soon as it gets a little warmer, though. I did get some corkscrew val tonight since it's $1.49 at Petsmart, so I'll stick it in there and see how it does. Hopefully it'll only be for a month or so, but if it starts looking sickly, I can always move it to the 2WPG 55gal, the 3WPG Hex5 or the 7.5WPG 2gal hex. :p

8. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

It's good that your prepared to move the Val if need be but the only tank you have that has more light intensity than the one it's in now is the 55gal with 2wpg. The other tanks are still only 15w lights & obviously that isn't as intense as the 30w you have over the 29gal. The WPG rule doesn't apply to tanks under 10gal & it's a bad rule anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice